How to make a basic plane help

Don't use too many control surfaces. I abandoned the large ones in favour of using the smaller ones, positioned as far out along the wing as possible. Use precision mode when flying (hit capslock). Mount your wings at an angle (hold shift and use WASD when building) such that the leading edge is higher than the trailing edge, if you are struggling to take off. Try to place the majority of the weight towards the rear of the aircraft, and the wings as well.

Fp5zg.png

I base none of my advice of real-world physics - just what seems to have worked for me. Too much weight in front of the wings makes it very hard to rotate and lift off. Then again, I'm sure someone with more knowledge and space-plane experience will be along to give more definitive answers in a short while..

I'm still trying to work out how to make wings efficient myself. I personally prefer planes that are balanced back to front (a little more weight at the front on takeoff may be helpful as fuel tanks drain from the top of the 'stack'/most connections away from the engine). I would say build big and underpowered. You can always add more power/control surfaces but it's much harder to take it away

Grand Lander, try to keep things as simple as possible to start with, just one engine and a few tanks/wings, and work on your wing position to fine tune the craft.

Once you get the feel for it you'll be able to make larger aircraft, it really just comes down to balance, and a balance indicator is a planned feature of 0.17

Also, don't forget to use the Trim feature (Hold Alt+WASD) to tweak your craft while in the air, this will help compensate for changes in center of gravity as fuel is used :)

1st of all (as already said above), weight should be slightly in front of aerodynamic focus.

2nd, main landing gear should be placed just slightly astern of center of gravity; this helps a lot to pitch up when taking off.

3d, set elevators to pitch-up when assembling a plane (use <Shift + WASDQE> keys). If the plane accidentally slows down, then it dives (as elevators cannot produce much lift when air speed is low), speeds up again, and raises its nose returning to level flight.

And the 4th, give main wings some angle of attack -- and a positive dihedral angle. The wings then produce force returning the plane back to its course whenever it accidentally diverts:

800px-SK_Dihedral_3.png

All those 4 measures can result in a perfectly stable plane, flyin' straight even when pilot's not there :D:

screenshot2289.png