Build a SAERV

Pronounced sa-erv.

SEARV stands for Single stage Atmospheric Exit and Re-entry Vessel.

Basically, the challenge is to build a rocket that can deliver a payload (of any size really) into orbit (periphrasis above 69,500m) around Kerbin. From there, it needs to land back on the ground (doesn't have to be at KSC) safely and in one piece. The rocket can only be one stage with the exception of boosters (they can decouple and you can place as many stages of them as you want). (This is pretty much what Winter Owl did on his youtube channel). You can use any mods, but no cfg edits.

Edit: Also do not use the fuel consumption bug.

Bonus points for:

-Landing at KSC. +10 points

-Landing with wheels/legs, using NO parachutes. +15 points

-The larger the payload, the more points. (Every KMU is equal to one extra point)

Edit: -All stock parts. +15 points

And please include photos/video, and if you're feeling generous, you .craft file. (I've been having trouble with this one for a while and could use an example.)

And of course, the most important rule: Have fun!

-TheMonster

Edited by TheMonster

Can I use drop tanks? I have a landing-capable rocket that can deliver 45T (KMU) to orbit, using 4 drop tanks totaling 40% of its liftoff fuel on the sides.

You may not use drop tanks. Only things that can decouple are SRBs.

It's a large payload into orbit, BUT you can't have parachutes if you have liquid engines, and you can't have more than one stage of liquid engines.

You can use parachutes, but if you do, you loose the opportunity for 15 extra bonus points.

Swell, I'll just use the liquid engine stage then. May be a sharply reduced payload, but it may improve the sluggishness of my game.

Also, solid boosters are pretty powerful (the stock ones at least). Perhaps there should be a bonus for using as few as possible/none?

Swell, I'll just use the liquid engine stage then. May be a sharply reduced payload, but it may improve the sluggishness of my game.

Also, solid boosters are pretty powerful (the stock ones at least). Perhaps there should be a bonus for using as few as possible/none?

Maybe I might add a penalty for using too many SRBs, but they have ups and downs, for instance, they have a very short burn time, and make you sacrifice a lot of control. If it starts to become a trend to use a whole bunch of SRBs and not a whole lot else, I'll put in a rule to prevent it.

There was a very similar challenge a while back.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15464-Heaviest-payload-into-Orbit-via-a-fully-reusable-craft/page2

Can I use my entry to that for this challenge?

So long as your craft fits the above rules, than yes. But when I looked at the picture of your other craft, I could see some damage during landing. That voids the entry. I'd just recommend a couple landing legs, than that thing will work like a charm.

Also, added a new Bonus category to the original post. Using all stock parts will give you a bonus of 15 points.

Edited by TheMonster

Not really, it is generally assumed that SSTOs need to land somtime.

"Generally assumed" to be does not mean "officially defined as." So yes, it really does not indicate the ability to land, even though some people may presume it to carry such a connotation.

I was making an attempt, but the LFE bug is a bit too tempting, just use a heap of aerospikes. :) I'll try for full throttle all the way.

Forgot about that bug. I just edited the original post saying that using that bug is against the rules.

Forgot about that bug. I just edited the original post saying that using that bug is against the rules.

That throws MechJeb out the window too, it made me think my rockets were better than they really are, it uses less than full thrust as much as it can for ascent.

That throws MechJeb out the window too, it made me think my rockets were better than they really are, it uses less than full thrust as much as it can for ascent.

I thought with MechJeb you could turn certain features off? I've never used it, so I really have no idea. But unfortunately, it is still a bug, and would give people who use it an edge.

You can turn off auto-throttle and power your rocket up to maximum. Depending on your rocket design, though, MechJeb may not throttle down enough, on default settings, to make a difference (although I'm not entirely certain how the bugs work, so correct me if I'm wrong).

You can turn off auto-throttle and power your rocket up to maximum. Depending on your rocket design, though, MechJeb may not throttle down enough, on default settings, to make a difference (although I'm not entirely certain how the bugs work, so correct me if I'm wrong).

I forgot about manual throttle. The bug applies the throttle twice to the consumption rate, so half throttle uses a quarter of the fuel and 10% throttle uses 1%.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.