Scenario Builder (Making History)

Some of you may know that we have had a feature somewhat similar to the Missions of Making History in stock for a very long time--if I'm not mistaken, they go back to 0.18 or so. It's the Scenario feature. These are essentially quicksaves that you can load up and play, in which you start in a particular circumstance--kind of like some Missions--but it's still a sandbox, there's no requirement of finishing. I believe it's possible to add messages to these as well, as in the tutorial system, but I don't know for sure. There's also some settings to play around with in the save file, like whether or not you can quicksave/quickload, or if you can go back to the space center or launch a new rocket.

This system has generally been heavily underutilized by the community, and I think one way of remedying this would be to have a modified Mission Builder setting that can export scenarios for stock games. This should be a lot more limited obviously, or no one would buy Making History, but features like placing ships in orbit or on the surface with the graphical action plane and spawning custom kerbals would be something to consider. We could even go a step further, and have the scenario be changed in-game by the user--launching or flying new crafts as if it were a normal save file--and then saving it as a scenario.

Does this sound like a good idea? Maybe, and maybe not. But at the very least I would like to see more done with scenarios either by Squad or by the community.

P.S.: Alternatively, maybe Squad could convert the existing scenarios into missions!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.