Looking for an article re: Asteroid Impact effects

Laie

Hello,

some years ago I came a cross an article where someone was guesstimating the effects of an impact in terms of damages and casualties. The author(s) calculated the effects for a handfull of sizes and a couple hundred coordinates all over the world; the gist of it was that even sizable rocks would do little damage on average, as most of the world is ocean or otherwise remote.

My google-fu is insufficient to unearth that article again. I guess some users of this subforum have come across the article at some time, and maybe still remember it well enough for an effective search. If someone could provide me with a link, that would be most kind.

38 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

BINGO!
" A set of 50,000 artificial Earth impacting asteroids was used to obtain, for the first time, information about the dominance of individual impact effects such as wind blast, overpressure shock, thermal radiation, cratering, seismic shaking, ejecta deposition, and tsunami for the loss of human life during an impact event for impactor sizes between 15 and 400 m and how the dominance of impact effects changes over size. Information about the dominance of each impact effect can enable disaster managers to plan for the most relevant effects in the event of an asteroid impact. Furthermore, the analysis of average casualty numbers per impactor shows that there is a significant difference in expected loss for airburst and surface impacts and that the average impact over land is an order of magnitude more dangerous than one over water. "

Thank you very much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.