Ore mining with MKS

orfest

Hi,

I want to complete the contract "Extract ore from Minmus" with MKS, but I don't understand where to start. Sorry for a barrage of questions, and sorry if they are gibberish, I just can't make heads nor tails of MKS.

I have a mining site already selected, and all the technology unlocked, I know how to mine ore without MKS (with the help of this guide: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/107475-step-by-step-mining-guide/), now I want to mine ore using MKS parts, but I'm completely lost in the tens of new parts.

MEU-100-A drill has about a hundreds possible separators (e.g. Dirt=>Ore), which one will simply mine ore for me?

What does it even mean to select an active separator? Doesn't a drill simply ... drill, what does it separate from what? What does it do with the stuff the other stuff was separated from? If I select Dirt=>Ore, what happens to Dirt and what happens to Ore?

To which parts can I attach MKS drills? Does the Ore storage tank have to be in the same docked vehicle or can mined ore be be scavenged into an unconnected storage tank nearby?

It seems that in MKS ore isn't needed in any production chains, is that correct?

With so many different resources in MKS, it's unlikely I can find a spot with good concentration of each of the resources. Do I need a separate outpost for each of the resources in a place where its concentration is optimal? 

I have contradictory goals of simply mining some ore to fulfill the contract, and a goal of kolonizing Minmus by deploying a base with an end-to-end life support and, eventually, launchpads on Minmus. Please tell me what would be a minimal MKS base that:

1. can mine ore

2. can be expanded to support all the production chains

I've seen the original tutorial, but it doesn't help me: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Outdated-Tutorials-Archive

it describes every new part, and every new resource, but I can't figure out how to get started.

Moving to Add-on Discussions, since this is about a mod rather than about the stock game.

On 12/8/2018 at 3:52 PM, orfest said:

now I want to mine ore using MKS parts, but I'm completely lost in the tens of new parts.

Hopefully you'll get some answers here.  :)

However, it's worth noting that if you have a question about a particular mod, the best place to ask is usually in that mod's release thread (in Add-on Releases), since that's where the mod's experienced users (and author!) generally hang out.

Ok, let's start small here.

You need to mine ore.  This is a decent first step towards a colony - as it's a first step towards making fuel, and a refueling depot is a good starting point for a colony.

To mine ore, you need a drill, and a tank to put the ore in.  A drill requires EC, and generates heat.

Therefore a minimal mining station has the following parts:

• Drill
  • Solar Panel/Fuel Cell/Reactor
  • Ore tank
  • Radiator

You may want to add an ISRU as well, and tanks for output LOX/Monoprop, as ore isn't all that useful on it's own.  That will take more EC and radiator capacity as well.  (And yes, Ore isn't needed in any MKS production chains - but MKS doesn't add a production chain for fueling your rocket, so Ore is still that chain.)

Now, you're using MKS, which adds more of all of the above - but in the end pretty much any will work, as long as they're sized to work together.  From an MKS standpoint, the main question you have is: Will the base start out manned, or not?

If it's unmanned, look for the automated drills and ISRU.  They get better efficiency without a Kerbal, but don't improve with a Kerbal.  If it's manned (or you can put up with very slow mining for the contract and will send Kerbals later) you'll want to look at the other drills and ISRU's, as they are more efficient with an Engineer/miner in place.  However, then you'll also want to add some workstation with a seat to the mining station.  (If you're starting unmanned and going manned, one of the Ranger series airlocks is a decent choice - just note that if you're using USI-LS you'll want to add habitation to the site when adding the Kerbal to the site.)

On the separators:  MKS doesn't add a drill for every resource it uses, as that would be a huge number of drills.  Instead, each drill can be changed to separate out a specific minable resource - so you need to set the separator to 'Ore' for your ore contract.  This can be done in the VAB for free, or out on site by an EVA'd Engineer for a small MaterialKits/SpecializedParts cost.  You never see what's separated out otherwise.  (Except if you go through the 'Dirt' chain, which adds a step, and is inefficient.  But often useful in early stages.)

I hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.  ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.