Skylon Experimental One Stage Space Plane STOCK [0.16]

I present to you the Skylon Space Plane!

AsXnt.jpg

The real thing.

440px-Skylon.svg.png

440px-Skylon_diagram.jpg

keLABh.jpg

xpxkqh.jpg

f3Dunh.jpg

The Skylon spacecraft is a British experimental space plane. I based my design off the real craft, even though it's still just design specs! I've decided to try and create single stage space planes in Kerbal. This is the first design I've had luck with. You have to be very fuel efficient with this design. It is able to make an orbit but not with a whole lot of fuel left. It's pretty hard bringing it back down for a landing, it doesn't have a whole lot of lift so it enjoys spinning out around 2000 meters. I've only come close to one successful landing. I left RCS out of the design since it only adds weight and since it's a small ship it doesn't need it! :D I'm open to any advice on how to make the Skylon better or any techniques on how to maximize fuel carriage into orbit.

Here's the .craft file to download, if you want to try it out for yourself!

http://www./?rkyrzvu4w9w14d7

Edited by Dr. Reekus

If you're taking off from the runway, then what I'd do is strap on some jet engines to gain low atmo speed and then turn upwards and eject them when they flame out. Doing that would help you get through the thickest air easier.

The aerospikes are only buggy when it comes to placing them. Try rotating it to fit on the tanks. Otherwise, the aerospikes are the best rocket engines available.

Also, Reekus, you should add some mobility enhancers for more interesting EVAs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.