Badass Moments - Jeb would be so proud.

Blockland

Post your Badass stories right here.

My first EVA was possibly my most risky one, I eva'd while the ship was rotating fast, and I was launched away from said ship, I was maybe in the middle of the Arch that lead towards Kerbin, ****.

So I boosted up to it, Collided hard, (I wasn't experienced at all.) then flew away some more, With about 50% of my fuel left, I Boosted back down, Got in, Enabled the parachute, and saved the day.

Before I read the rule of thumb posted that one should launch towards a moon from a circular orbit as it rises over the horizon, I worked it out accidentally as I was idly mentally playing with the idea of phase angle while drifting in a circular orbit, hoping to boost towards Mun. My thoughts went roughly like this:

"Hey, there's Mun coming up. I wonder how high that should appear to get if I want to swing towards it in a higher orbit. I mean, it can't be as easy as just aiming at it, right? Let's see... if I boost from a circular orbit, I raise the apoapsis right across from where I am. And if I ignore Kerbin's size, my semimajor axis would be about half that of Mun. If we normalize it, T^2 = a^3 (where T is period and a is the semimajor axis), so roughly speaking, half my period would take... a fourth of Mun's! I gotta go now!"

And it worked. I didn't even think to check my math and go around again, I was in such a hurry to hit the throttle. I felt stunned and amazed that it worked out so nicely. It still feels like a crowning moment of geek awesome.

My current favorite lander is four-way symmetrical; one of the engines fell off when I headed back toward the lander from a distance on Minmus (there's this thing where it re-draws the physics when you're 250 meters from the craft, and that makes it go off the surface somehow), and it ended up on its side. I got in anyway and lit it up -- there was nothing to lose -- and to my surprise, it left the surface (though it was tumbling pretty well). With judicious engine power applied only when the craft was more-or-less pointed up, managed to leave Minmus' sphere of influence well behind me... and when I finally made some serious distance, cut the power, and checked the orbital map, I found that my trajectory was just right to enter an aerobraking orbit around Kerbin. I've never felt so lucky, or so strong a desire to claim that it was all intentional somehow. :)

I once went on eva without realising that the rocket's engines were still slightly on. No one else was on board to shut them off and I managed to catch up using the eva thrusters to get close enough to the ladder to grab on and get back inside. The kerbal performing this was none other than Jeb. :)

I once (somehow) managed to land my 2m hab module on the Mun after the Kerbin-ascent-stage's decoupler failed... by landing on the ascent-stage's engines, which promptly exploded and took everything south of the decoupler with them, leaving Bill, Jeb and Bob to float (relatively, physically) unharmed to the Mun's surface in the now-deployed hab module.

I don't know. I think landing on Mun and Minmus (at separate times) during EVA using only thrust packs was pretty cool.

Just so you know, for Mun I had to set up a circularized orbit below 10k, then slow down with the rocket to roughly zero horizontal velocity, dump out my frightened kerbal, speed up to orbital velocity with my rocket, and then switch back to my kerbal for his landing. Minmus was easy to land on in Eva from an orbit though.

Was doing a "grand tour" and managed to land on a hill and tip over (intact) on BOTH the Mun and Minmus, and both times managed to continue on by toggling the landing legs for a little hop, and cranking the rotation. It felt pretty Kerbal to be all, "Lander fell over? Feh, minor setback."

When trying a crew-swap orbital rendezvous-EVA, I ran out of Jeb's RCS fuel while trying to reach the ladder. Bill (and by Bill I mean me) saved the day by maneuvering the ship right up to the helplessly floating Jeb so he could grab on.

I was testing a rocket today with a random kerbal at the helm, and things were fine. A while later, none other than Jeb himself is at the helm. My multistory rocket collapses, one stage after another in a truly epic display of explosive explosiveness. Of course Jeb is smiling the whole time, and the command module survives so Jeb gets to live another day.

Was doing a "grand tour" and managed to land on a hill and tip over (intact) on BOTH the Mun and Minmus, and both times managed to continue on by toggling the landing legs for a little hop, and cranking the rotation. It felt pretty Kerbal to be all, "Lander fell over? Feh, minor setback."

When trying a crew-swap orbital rendezvous-EVA, I ran out of Jeb's RCS fuel while trying to reach the ladder. Bill (and by Bill I mean me) saved the day by maneuvering the ship right up to the helplessly floating Jeb so he could grab on.

LOL.... best ones yet

I was testing a plane of mine with a tendency, due to poorly placed landing gear, to lose its tail on takeoff. On one particular takeoff, it suddenly rolled to the right and lost a large section of wing. To my surprise, it remained controllable. I was able to bring it in for a successful landing (losing only one engine and the nosecone) with only one aileron, the canards, and no rudder.

ZUwwz.png

• 1 year later...

Landed on Mun, tipped over. broke off my engine.

No problem, I still have my return module, with its own engine and fuel.. But it launches *straight* forward, and i'm lying on my side in a crater.

No problem.

Roll the ship 4.5Km to the nearest crater wall using gyro, until the nose points up into clear sky. Stage separate, launch, win!

(will post the pics if I can locate them)

Landed on Mun, tipped over. broke off my engine.

No problem, I still have my return module, with its own engine and fuel.. But it launches *straight* forward, and i'm lying on my side in a crater.

No problem.

Roll the ship 4.5Km to the nearest crater wall using gyro, until the nose points up into clear sky. Stage separate, launch, win!

(will post the pics if I can locate them)

The thread is one year old, but oh well.

I had a nasty moment when I was going to return my crew from Minmus. When I loaded the craft they were in, the Mk1-2 pod, ASAS unit, parachutes and solar panels were ripped apart from the vessel, work of the Kraken. I still had to return them(it was a crew of six, a rescue vessel would be heavy and hard to design), so I had to land there Tylo Style.

Of course, Jebediah was on the vessel, so maybe he decided to sabotage it to have a feeling of adrenaline. :P

Attempting my first rendez-vous and docking.

I'm actually swaying wildly past the target vehicle using both RCS and main thruster to clumsily attempt to match orbits. Needless to say, it's going poorly as it appears increasingly obvious to everyone involved that mission control has no idea what it's doing. Both Monopropellant, LiquidFuel and Snacks are getting dangerously low, barely enough to deorbit, so that's pretty much it. a textbook mission abort scenario...

Nope. Jeb makes the call, The target vehicle has enough Fuel left to perform a deorbit burn too. we'll make a last attempt at docking, obviously, it'd do-or-die at this point.

Mission control tries to gets it's act together, docking manoeuvers are just orbital mechanics on a smaller scale, we know how to deal with those, dammit! Prograde is that way, target is this way, we gotta burn this way, and be gentle, we're running on fumes here. Miracle, we're actually approaching the target vehicle at a reasonable pace. and eventually manage to successfully dock with hardly a unit of Monopropellant and LiquidFuel remaining.

The docked ship and target vehicle assembly successfully performed re-entry later on, safely bringing back Jeb to Kerbin. To this day and in the foreseeable future, this remains among of the most memorable achievements in my gaming history.

By far my best ever was:

I was landing a pancake like lander with 5 parachutes. 1 in the middle and one at each corner. I was coming in from eeloo and had an almost vertical entry.

Anyways at 68k I went to hit te parachutes and realized I had had a break in the frame and they wouldn't open. Jeb fearlessly EVA'd and first opened the top parachute. Then he went to a corner and opened it causing the entire platform to shift. He almost went over the side.

He made it to the opposite corner and hit the parachute. The end snapped up and I had 2 seconds of terror as Jeb flew above the lander before he finally landed back on it. He managed the other two corners and ran back to his module. He jumped in at less than 1,000m altitude and a speed of 200m/s still.

At 500m the parachutes snapped open and there was rapid disassembly of the entire aircraft. The center stack with the module crashed hard into the ground and further disassembled but the more survived. Jeb crawled out in victory.

But it wasn't over. As I was enjoying the moment I saw a shadow pass over Jeb. The next minute saw Jeb frantically running a zigzag pattern as various other pieces of the ship crashed into the ground all around him.

I'm still super proud of Gilkin Kerman. He's a national hero in my KSP game.

Then there is all the insane stuff I put my Kerbals through for the Kerb Kerman show...

Like landing a christmas tree on the Mun... and successfully going from launchpad to Minmus with Ogden Kerman sitting on the nose of the craft... Oh, and intentionally rolling a Mun lander so things exploded for an animated GIF then returning it back to Kerbin.

xZN9sfZ.gif?1?2081

Poor guys. XD

By far my best ever was:

I was landing a pancake like lander with 5 parachutes. 1 in the middle and one at each corner. I was coming in from eeloo and had an almost vertical entry.

Anyways at 68k I went to hit te parachutes and realized I had had a break in the frame and they wouldn't open. Jeb fearlessly EVA'd and first opened the top parachute. Then he went to a corner and opened it causing the entire platform to shift. He almost went over the side.

He made it to the opposite corner and hit the parachute. The end snapped up and I had 2 seconds of terror as Jeb flew above the lander before he finally landed back on it. He managed the other two corners and ran back to his module. He jumped in at less than 1,000m altitude and a speed of 200m/s still.

At 500m the parachutes snapped open and there was rapid disassembly of the entire aircraft. The center stack with the module crashed hard into the ground and further disassembled but the more survived. Jeb crawled out in victory.

But it wasn't over. As I was enjoying the moment I saw a shadow pass over Jeb. The next minute saw Jeb frantically running a zigzag pattern as various other pieces of the ship crashed into the ground all around him.

OMG.... I would love to see video of that. That sounds epic.

Not super badass ... but the kind of s#!t Jeb puts up with on a regular basis:

Put a base on the Mun. My communication tower developed a tendency to wobble and "walk" away. By the time all the modules were landed and organized, it had wandered off a few km away. Jeb took the rover and pushed the thing back into place. It took forever and it kept wanted to tip over. This thing had no wheels, just legs that were angled funny (hence: the tendence to wobble and slide), and was ridiculously tall. So Jeb had to gingerly bump it without crashing it or the only rover in the place over the craters of the Mun back to the station. He quickly learned it slid better with the legs extended and stayed in place better with the legs retracted. Wobble, wobble, wobble back into place. Retract legs to keep it parked. Then drive the rover home and back to bed. Cause he's a man.

Edited by mellojoe
i can't spel