KSP will only launch using integrated graphics

Hello all,

I am having an issue whereby I am only able to run KSP successfully using the integrated graphics chip on my laptop. When trying to launch using the dedicated graphics, KSP appears on screen but freezes as soon as it attempts to load any asset (EditorLoop1 specifically, however if I delete this file it simply freezes on the next item in the list). I am using a vanilla Steam install of KSP x64, on a 3 week old Windows installation. I have updated my Nvidia driver to the latest one, as well as audio drivers. Windows, Steam and KSP are fully updated.

System specs are:

Intel i5-6300HQ Processor
16GB RAM
Intel HD530 Integrated Graphics
Nvidia GeForce 940M Dedicated Graphics

Log file located here:

https://pastebin.com/9BCzEpDw

If anyone has any thoughts or insight I would be very grateful, and please let me know if any additional info is needed. The game is playable on the Intel HD Graphics, but I'd love it to run better on what is a fairly capable laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

First off, I wouldnt be deleteing *ANY* KSP files. There is an option somewhere to "verify" your Steam install, which will replace any missing KSP files. I dont use Steam, so i dont know the specifics.
After you re-verify your install, do the following:
(I assume you are running a Windows OS.)

Try opening the Nvidia Settings (should have a little green Nvidia icon in your system tray).

When it opens in a new window, you should see this, after clicking "Manage 3D settings" in the left pane.

Sfg6ksf.png

Click the "Program Settings" tab.
Then, under the dropdown menu next to number 1, you should see what i have above, the KSP icon and executable. If not, click the "Add" button, and brose to your KSP install folder, and select the KSP.exe. It should now be added to the list.

Then in the dropdown under number 2, select your Nvidia processor.
Click "Apply", then restart KSP... it should now be using your Nvidia GPU, and *not* the integrated Graphics.

After starting KSP, you can verify the GPU switch, by opening the KSP.log in a text editor (file is located in the main KSP folder, same place as KSP_64.exe (or KSP_32.exe)). At the very top of the log, it will list which GPU KSP is using.

Edited by Stone Blue

Hi Stone Blue,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post :-)

I have since done an entire uninstall and re-install as a troubleshooting step, so all the files are in place properly.

I have found the menu you showed and am able to select which graphics processor to use. My issue is that the game will freeze on loading if attempting to launch using the Nvidia chip. The log from the crash shows the 940M as the rendering device in use. The game loads up normally if I revert the preference to the integrated chip.

Best,
Dan

On 2/27/2019 at 9:09 PM, Dan2298 said:

Hi Stone Blue,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post :-)

I have since done an entire uninstall and re-install as a troubleshooting step, so all the files are in place properly.

I have found the menu you showed and am able to select which graphics processor to use. My issue is that the game will freeze on loading if attempting to launch using the Nvidia chip. The log from the crash shows the 940M as the rendering device in use. The game loads up normally if I revert the preference to the integrated chip.

Best,
Dan

Slight shot in the dark (I've been weened off Windows for some years).

Updated drivers for the Nvidia chip?

With dual gfx it's possible that normal checks and updates doesn't "see" the Nvidia one.

@Dan2298 Well, idk... I assume you didnt change any of the settings under number 3, for KSP, in the Nvidia settings window I showed. I forgot to mention for you to also make sure that on the "Global Settings" tab, you want "Auto Select" in the first drop down.

Beyond that, I dont have much, since you are running a vanilla install, that eliminates a mod problem :P
I'm also assuming you are not trying to force DirectX11, or OpenGL... ???

Two other things to consider, as CurveballAnders mentioned, recheck that you have an updated Nvidia driver. I just looked at one of my logs, and I am showing a much newer driver than is shown in your log. I have a 630M, tho. I am on Win8.1, with Nvidia driver v391.35 (In case you dont know, quick way to check version #, is in the Nvidia control panel, very bottom left is a "System Information" link... clicking that will open a popup with driver version included)
Heres the version my log shows, which matches properly:
23.21.13.9135 ... yours is showing: [nvldumdx.dll 23.21.13.8927] which I assume is v389.27... an older driver

The other thing, mebbe, as a stretch, is that since you say you have a pretty new Windows install, mebbe domething is up with the DirectX drivers.

I'm heavily leaning toward outdated Nvidia driver tho. I'm on a 7yr old laptop, and the OEM Nvidia driver is waaayyyy out of date, but 90% of the time, when grabbing the current 630M driver straight from the Nvidia site, their drivers work for me...

Heres Nvidias driver download site:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Other than all that... idk... vOv

EDIT: yeah.. i just checked, and it looks like the current driver for a 940M is v
419.17 ... from just a few days ago vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

Thank you both for your answers. I had installed the Nvidia drivers via device manager so a little frustrating for them to be out of date. I have since uninstalled ksp (and purged all files), then the old driver, installed the latest Nvidia driver, newest directx and finally reinstalled KSP. No banana.

I will have to live with the integrated graphics, I can still maintain a good 35fps on medium settings or 50fps if I turn them down further.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Dan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.