I have question about one of Apollo 11 astronaut about Michael Collins

Pawelk198604

The man was involved in the Apollo 11 mission, but never set foot on the moon

I wonder why NASA never select him for any subsequent lunar mission, as commander or even LM pilot,

I think history has treated him a little unfair, everyone knows the story of the late Neil Armstrong is still alive, fortunately, Buzz Aldrin, the astronaut from other lunar missions Some people remember.

Well, according to Wikipedia, (yay wiki) he retired from space flight after the Apollo 11. But I highly doubt history was being unfair to him. He himself believes the third man of the crew is just as important as the other two, and I agree. Without that third man, the mission could not work.

Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys is his autobiography and in it he quotes that they may have walked on the moon but he got to fly around it

It is a pity that there is no translation into Polish, I would happily read it, I could also read it in English, because the translations generally do not reflect the author's views, but no publisher decided not to publish the book. It is amazing that in my country there are plenty of autobiographies of our domestic and foreign politicians, and celebrities like Justin Bieber, but only few people who publish books that really have something interesting, hope that someday they decide to publish Michael Collins autobiography

It is a pity that there is no translation into Polish, I would happily read it, I could also read it in English, because the translations generally do not reflect the author's views, but no publisher decided not to publish the book. It is amazing that in my country there are plenty of autobiographies of our domestic and foreign politicians, and celebrities like Justin Bieber, but only few people who publish books that really have something interesting, hope that someday they decide to publish Michael Collins autobiography

If you really want it, it is available on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Carrying-Fire-An-Astronauts-Journeys/dp/081541028X/ref=lh_ni_t

It appears they will ship to Poland, standard international shipping is 11-32 days. I input a random Polish adress and it seemed to accept it. I didn't pay and check out of course, so it might reject it there, but chances are good.

I have never had a problem with amazon orders; they are always a good bet for online purchases.

If you really want it, it is available on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Carrying-Fire-An-Astronauts-Journeys/dp/081541028X/ref=lh_ni_t

It appears they will ship to Poland, standard international shipping is 11-32 days. I input a random Polish adress and it seemed to accept it. I didn't pay and check out of course, so it might reject it there, but chances are good.

I have never had a problem with amazon orders; they are always a good bet for online purchases.

Thank you, no thanks, I do not have shelf space, I have a lot of books, besides, most of the books I read, borrowed from the city public library, why buy when you can borrow.?

I buy only when a book is really and I'm a picky reader, but this autobiography is tempting;-)

There's an interesting picture I think Collins took. It shows the ascent module returning with Earth in the background. As far as we're aware, he was the only member of humanity not in that picture.

Besides, I think it is depressing that my friends fail to name Yuri Gagarin as the first man in space... :(

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, Collins had told Deke Slayton before the mission that he was going to retire after the mission, unless they aborted before TLI, in which case NASA's Administrator had promised the crew that he would move heaven and earth to get them assigned to fly the same mission plan as Apollo 12.

He did it because he felt he couldn't put his family through at least two more years (as it would have turned out, three more years) of his being away from home 200 days or more per year, and working 12 hours a day even when he WAS at home, and that he didn't regret his decision, although, given the standard "skip two" crew rotation (fly as prime crew, skip two missions, backup crew for mission with a one-position promotion, skip two missions, fly as prime in your new position), he did find himself watching Gene Cernan walk on the moon on Apollo 17 with a real feeling of "it coulda been me," since he would have been in line to be backup commander for 14, and prime crew commander for 17...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.