Lightweight supersonic propeller plane!

With Breaking Ground about to arrive, some Kerbals are saying that stock props in their current form are dead. Not so! - say traditionalists who have invested many hours in developing and testing high performance propeller craft. 

In the name of science, Werner Von Kerman has released a tender for a lightweight, supersonic propeller plane. Such a plane could have numerous applications on Kerbin as well as other planets.

The challenge: Build a super-fast electric propeller plane using only one torque producing part!
Rules:

1. Entries will be ranked according to maximum sustained speed in level flight
  2. It must be an aeroplane carrying at least one kerbal.
  3. Your plane must weigh less than 3 tons in the hangar. 
  4. Only 1 torque-producing part is allowed. A single reaction wheel or other module to spin your motor, and no contra-rotating or twin engines.
  5. No torque-making parts are allowed for control - you must use control surfaces!
  6. It must use an electric motor (no jet or rocket turbines)
  7. No part or physics mods -  autopilot control mods such as Mech Jeb are allowed
  8. To make electricity you may use fuel cells, batteries, RTG,  or solar - no jets or rockets.
  9. The electric prop must be the only source of thrust.
  10. Breaking ground is allowed (when it is released) - let's see how powerful its rotors are!
  11. It must be able to take off and land undamaged from/to a runway or flat land. 
  12. No parachutes allowed
  13. Stock Aerodynamics- no modifications or cheats before or during the flight
  14. No other cheats such as infinite electricity or fuel
  15. No modified parts or cfg files
  16. Any additional torque producing parts (such as probe cores used as bearings) must have their RW switched off at all times.
  17. Provide a link to your craft file if possible

Hints:

• To reach the highest speed with limited power you will need the lowest drag airframe possible
  • Look up ways to increase power output of reaction wheels such as the 3-axis trick demonstrated by @EvermoreAlpaca
  • With only one prop you will need to balance your plane so it doesn't spin out of control

Leaderboard:

Edited by Tyr Anasazi

34 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

I'm not sure you will get mach 1 on one reaction wheel and under 2 tonnes. Unless I am badly mistaken about the limits of drag optimization.

I’ve changed it to 3 tons as I found it impossible in my own effort.

If anyone is able to do it under 2t let us know!

My Global Dumpling design flies at Mach 0.85 - I think a supersonic plane with one wheel is definitely possible :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.