Mohole on Bop?

DRAG0Nmon

So one day, I was taking a look at the orbital map in the tracking station. Then I wondered, what color is Pol compared to Bop? I don't know why I asked myself this, but I looked for the answer. Upon closer inspection I discovered:

A: Pol is more orange and yellow compared to Bop

B: Bop has a hole on its North Pole, similar to the one on Moho

Upon discovering B, I looked at Moho, and then back at Bop, and realized they are almost identical sinkholes in the almost same spot. So is this a glitch in the map screen, or is this an actual Bop-Hole?

Most planets have weird terrain features at their poles.  It has something to do with how the system works.  Often you get a weird mountain or a deep hole.  Sometimes neither, either because the devs took the time to smooth it out or it just worked out that way.

Duna's got some interesting polar features, too, but my favorite is the south pole of Tekto in the Outer Planets Mod.  Looks like the Emerald City being besieged by an army of Godzillas.

23 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Most planets have weird terrain features at their poles.  It has something to do with how the system works.  Often you get a weird mountain or a deep hole.  Sometimes neither, either because the devs took the time to smooth it out or it just worked out that way.

Duna's got some interesting polar features, too, but my favorite is the south pole of Tekto in the Outer Planets Mod.  Looks like the Emerald City being besieged by an army of Godzillas.

Interesting about the pole of Tekto, I'll need to look that up. I wonder why people are more interested in the Mohole, considering the fact that it is on Moho, one of the more challenging places to get to. 

1 hour ago, DRAG0Nmon said:

Interesting about the pole of Tekto, I'll need to look that up. I wonder why people are more interested in the Mohole, considering the fact that it is on Moho, one of the more challenging places to get to. 

Here's Tekto's south pole.  NOTE:  There are cloud mods for Tekto that reduce visibility to nearly nil.  Which is a shame because it's such a beautiful place.  Therefore, I don't use the clouds :).

25661085965_1e564d66c8_b.jpg

Moho's not that hard to get to if you know the route (bi-elliptic or some other trick, NOT a direct flight), it just takes some planning and the better part of a year.  The Mohole is fun because it requires some precision flying to reach the bottom and then get back out.  As it happens, a Mk 1 capsule's shape perfectly fits the bottom of the hole.  I left a Kerbal stranded that way once due to crashing just above the bottom.  The pod plugged the bottom of the hole nose down, with the hatch totally blocked by the terrain.  I figure that's the most miserable fate of the many thousands my Kerbals have suffered :).

I've made it a point to send probes to the poles when possible. Duna and Eve have really cool and elaborate spikes at their north poles. Tylo has some cool hills at its south pole, although it might have been Vall... Several of the minor moons have small spikes, like IIRC The Mun, Gilly...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.