I think the Landing Legs are too bouncy

Haven't played for about 6 months, and wanted to get back into it.
I noticed when making stock Stages with landing gear that it would bounce uncontrollably, and decided to test on an indestructible launch pad.

This is repeatable with multiple types of legs, and the attached video shows that during an impact the legs cause the rocket to bounce back harder than the initial impact.
The rocket then bounces higher, and lands harder eventually breaking components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHrRW43y7WM

I have managed to create scenarios where this doesn't happen, but I think the speed at impact was less than 5ms.

Edit:
I'm using 1.7.3 in Linux with no mods.

Edited by UrstMcRedhead

I swapped out with the LT-1 legs, and recreated this issue.
I also used twice as many of them because of clearance issues with the rocket. So I either could use the smaller legs with a narrower base, or use more of them, and have zero clearance between the feet, and the rockets.

I've got a capture of it somewhere, but I didn't want to post 5-10 variations of the same 30sec thing in an hour.

Also when researching this problem I found that 1.4 - 1.5 had the ability to change the damper values, and that lowering them solved this for some people.
That's not the case anymore.

Never mind. I got it to happen on eight smaller LT-1 Landing legs.

EDIT:
Using four LT-1's caused it to bounce off the pad shortly after physics kicked in.

So I went in the opposite direction:
I Used struts to make the side tanks more rigid, and put 2 LT-2 Legs on each tank, and the design was stable until it hit off center.
If the rocket touches down on too few legs they bounce back harder and cause a crash.

I think this is a bug:

Edited by UrstMcRedhead

This has been going on for a while, they've put in a few fixes and some of them even help a little.  One of the changes was making the spring/damper force editable on deployed craft.  Usually, turning spring force down pretty low (which will depend on what body you are on and the size of the craft) and turning the damper up some helps a lot but isn't a 100% fix.

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

Usually, turning spring force down pretty low (which will depend on what body you are on and the size of the craft) and turning the damper up some helps a lot

Yeah, but it looks like that feature was removed, because I can't adjust Spring Pressure, or Damper Strength in stock KSP.

1 hour ago, UrstMcRedhead said:

Nope...
Didn't know that we have moved those things into a setting.
0.5 Spring Strength, and 1.5 Damper Strength worked like a charm.

Just on side note, you know about autostruts?You turn them on with Advanced tweakables as well and then right click any part.

They work nice and dont count as parts.Google for more info.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.