Operation: Homecoming

FROM THE OFFICE OF WERNHER VON KERMAN

For over 40 years, the Kerbal Space Program has conducted countless missions to explore the Kerbol system. We have sent probes, relays, rovers, and even kerbals to those places to further expand our understanding of space. Once we were sure that we could return from a planet or moon, we would begin establishing a permanent presence on there - whether it be from a mobile base, a stationary outpost, or simply an orbital station with at least one lander ready. Below is a photo gallery of some of the things we built to solidify Kerbin's presence.

t1JFnp6.png

• Jack Mobile Base on Duna. 
    • Large contributor of science points
    • Can carry up to 19 people
      • 16 in cabin
      • 1 in cockpit
      • 2 in science lab
        • Stowed in cargo area (can open downward doors for quick exit)

WKv6LbV.png

• Hades Station in orbit of Eeloo
    • We also have men on the surface (two of them Jebediah Kerman and Bob)

Zgw5i1I.png

• U.S.S. Enterprise-D in orbit of Duna
    • Has a Mk. Vb travel pod docked to it
      • Pod has a seven-person capacity.

ZhTYmDI.png

• Rob Mobile Base on Vall
    • Nicknamed "Girl Base" since the entire base crew is female.
    • Has a lander on the surface ready for blastoff
      • And a Mk. V travel pod in orbit

Tourist transports and ongoing exploration missions are not pictured, as they are technically not contributing to any permanent presences. Aside from that, we have established permanent presences on all significant celestial bodies in the Kerbol system except for:

• Moho
    • We only landed there once, and there has been a very low demand to fly there since then. Even though we sent a fuel truck, a mobile base, and started building a space station, the kerbalnauts seem to have a silent pact never to venture there.
      • Recently, one tourist has paid to fly there.  He'll be in space soon, along with an engineer.
  • Eve
    • We still have yet to come up with a plausible Eve Ascent Vehicle design. Until such a time, it is forbidden to land there.
    • We have three scientists in orbit of Gilly right now, but that's only to fulfill some study and station contracts. We plan to send them back once the next transfer window opens.
  • Tylo
    • We have no mission plan for that moon.

Right now, we have more personnel off the planet than we do on. Three years ago, we started to receive letters and emails from the families and friends of the active-duty kerbalnauts - all of them requesting that we send them back home. After the general public started to hop on board that train, the KSP administration has voted to pull everyone out. While ongoing tourism flights and exploration missions will proceed as planned, Mission Control will be conducting an interplanetary effort to get the colonists back to Kerbin safe and sound. Opponents of this operation argued that we would be undermining our space program's credibility in terms of bravery and ability to gather scientific data, but I assured them in a press conference yesterday that this concern was unwarranted. After all, if we need to, we could send someone else to those same bases and stations - and it would be someone who has not been in that planet before.

Below is a list of all the colonists that we are going to summon back to Kerbin. Though there are still several kerbalnauts still out there, they're either participating in:

• Ongoing exploration missions
  • Outstanding tourist contract missions.
  • Outstanding construction contract missions.
    • e.g. a Pol outpost with an engineer.

Name

Level

Specialty

Stationed At

Doodmore

Pilot

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Lasel

Scientist

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Lodmon

Scientist

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Maurie

Engineer

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Donfurt

Pilot

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Frocal

Scientist

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Donbin

Scientist

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Namin

Engineer

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Matt

Scientist

Hades Station

Eeloo (Orbit)

Siebald

Scientist

Hades Station

Eeloo (Orbit)

Eriler

Engineer

Hades Station

Eeloo (Orbit)

Arbus

Pilot

Hades Station

Eeloo (Orbit)

Jebediah

Pilot

Skylar Base

Eeloo (Surface)

Jedemone

0*

Scientist

Skylar Base

Eeloo (Surface)

Bob

Scientist

Skylar Base

Eeloo (Surface)

Grarey

Pilot

Rob Base

Vall (Surface)

Ralo

Scientist

Rob Base

Vall (Surface)

Olivia

Scientist

Rob Base

Vall (Surface)

Rabal

Engineer

Rob Base

Vall (Surface)

* There was a paperwork issue while promoting Jedemone, but he is guaranteed his new rank when he returns to Kerbin.

This Mission Report thread will contain the journal entries of these kerbalnauts as they push to return to their home planet. This doesn't mean that we're quitting the space program, but that we're allowing these hard-working colonists to come back home and allow other kerbalnauts to take their place.

OPERATION: HOMECOMING IS A "GO"

Wernher Von Kerman

Year 42, Day 352

5H30M

JEB KERMAN'S MISSION LOG: Y43D29 - 3H30M

I'm honored to be the first kerbalnaut to report on this thread. For a while, I was beginning to think that everybody forgot us. Then again, how could they when Bill and Val were tirelessly pushing for us to be flown back home?

Anyway, I'm also honored to report that the Comeback I is now on its way back to Kerbin. It's expected to get in the planet's sphere of influence in 1 year and 272 days from now, so we're glad for the quick return. However, since we only have 325 meters per second of delta-V left in the ship, Eriler is worried that we may approach Kerbin TOO quickly. Our orbital trajectory puts us at a Kerbin periapsis of 50 kilometers, so we'll need to lower that for an aerobrake. If we try the direct approach, we may end up cooking to death on re-entry.

1dAp0gK.png

• Shot of us making our exit burn from 400 km above the surface

Bill, being the nerd that he is, counted the number of kerbalnauts being pulled back in this operation - there were 19. While the Comeback I will check seven off that list, Mission Control decided to add two two. Apparently, Ludlong and Starigh Kerman were flying to Duna in an SSTO that was deemed a reject design while they were in-transit. They couldn't land on the planet since it was deemed too risky, but they had enough fuel to make a parking orbit around Kerbin. After that, a working SSTO would rendezvous with the reject and land the kerbalnauts safe and sound while we crash the reject plane.

• Since there are eight kerbalnauts (not counting the two in the Reject (I decided to name it that), currently stationed in Duna's sphere of influence and the pod can seven people at a time, one of the other kerbalnauts will fly home in the Reject while the others splash down in the pod.
    • That one extra (plus Ludlong and Starigh) will get to land in style.

9mzcebE.png

• The Reject above Duna. It was an attempt to add more non-oxygen-dependent thrust for Duna flight, but each prototype lost control and crashed during Kerbin re-entry.
    • Any ideas for a self-mining Duna SSTO?

Below is the new list of kerbalnauts awaiting return that aren't busy with anything else now. While the Comeback I crew was removed, the Reject was added.

Name

Level

Specialty

Stationed At

Doodmore

Pilot

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Lasel

Scientist

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Lodmon

Scientist

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Maurie

Engineer

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Donfurt

Pilot

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Frocal

Scientist

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Donbin

Scientist

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Namin

Engineer

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Ludlong

Pilot

Reject

Duna (Orbit)

Starigh

Engineer

Reject

Duna (Orbit)

Grarey

Pilot

Rob Base

Vall (Surface)

Ralo

Scientist

Rob Base

Vall (Surface)

Olivia

Scientist

Rob Base

Vall (Surface)

Rabal

Engineer

Rob Base

Vall (Surface)

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie

GRAREY KERMAN'S MISSION LOG: Y43D107 - 3H30M

Unless you've read the Neptune Mission Report for Y43D107 first, you'd be surprised to hear that my crew and I picked up a fifth kerbalnaut to fly back home. His name is Johnfrid Kerman, the first kerbal to step foot on the surface of Laythe - and the sole crewmember of the Neptune II. Bet he got pretty lonely after being stuck in a lander can all by himself for almost 7 years.

• Then again, Ralo, Rabal, Olivia, and I were stuck with each other for twice as long. Though we kept in contact with Mission Control, we were itching to see someone else's face again.

vcnMLYy.png

• Look at that cute little Neptune II floating 173 meters away from us.

Our Jool orbit rendezvous cost us enough delta-V to delay our exit burn. Fortunately, we have an ore transport on Vall that's getting ready. We don't know how long that will take, but I'm sure waiting's better than being stuck in solar orbit forever - especially with such a high apoapsis. I hope Vall's gravitational pull doesn't take too much fuel for the ore transport, or this will turn into the Bill's and Val's Eeloo problem all over again.

As of now, the Homecoming tally is up to 15. Fortunately for the mission, we're getting close to crossing off ten of them when they all fly back from Duna.

• We're still not counting the ones currently in-transit from Eeloo to Kerbin since their orbit's already set.
  • After about 1 years and 200 days, we would have brought back 17 total kerbalnauts.

Name

Level

Specialty

Stationed At

Doodmore

Pilot

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Lasel

Scientist

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Lodmon

Scientist

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Maurie

Engineer

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Donfurt

Pilot

U.S.S. Enterprise-D

Duna (Orbit)

Frocal

Scientist

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Donbin

Scientist

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Namin

Engineer

Jack Mobile Base

Duna (Surface)

Ludlong

Pilot

Reject

Duna (Orbit)

Starigh

Engineer

Reject

Duna (Orbit)

Grarey

Pilot

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

Ralo

Scientist

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

Olivia

Scientist

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

Rabal

Engineer

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

Johnfrid

Scientist

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

• 2 weeks later...

JEBEDIAH KERMAN'S MISSION LOG: Y44D312 - 3H30M

Less than a day ago, seventeen of our fine kerbalnauts have made it back to Kerbin - Bob and myself two of them. Before I get into the details on how we were welcomed back home, allow me to show you some pictures we all took.

wtGRvql.png

• The Comeback I capsule after a hard re-entry. I'm surprised nothing blew up at this phase, since we were coming in at an initial velocity of 4.5 kilometers per second.
    • The fact that we had almost 380 meters per second left of delta-V left didn't help slow us down, either. I put the capsule at a periapsis of 35 kilometers in case an aerobrake was necessary. 

7iN1vnV.png

• Our capsule after hitting the highlands. A couple of us were finally glad to see some grass and dirt after seeing ice for years.

Nearly a day after we hit Kerbin's sphere of influence - but a day before our touchdown - the Duna kerbalnauts were caught by Kerbin's gravity. Seven of them used the same model pod as the Comeback I, and they re-entered with no issues. The last three Duna kerbalnauts established a parking orbit around the planet in their failed plane, then Mission Control sent a working SSTO to pick them up.

ooBMflO.png

• A Mk. III Duna SSTO (left) approaching the Reject (right).
    • The last three Duna kerbalnauts spacewalked to the Mk. III and landed successfully in the grasslands

VH8OWeR.png

• Looking good, huh?

6MA7K8l.png

• The Reject spinning out of control, despite Mission Control's attempts to save it - or at least minimize the damage sustained during the crash.
    • This picture was taken when the plane was 350 meters above the ground. Even though I'm a bit of a daredevil myself, I'm surprised Mission Control actually sent that thing before realizing that it was no good.
      • Good for moons, maybe, but that's it - and no return to Kerbin.

We still have five more from Eeloo awaiting the right time to make their exit burn, but Mission Control has assured them that they're putting a rush on the ore transport operations. In the meantime, Bill, Bob, Val, and I hopped back on the old Badger jet and got a team photo in front of it.

21iKCNv.png

• (Left to right) Me, Bill, Val, and Bob
    • Bob kept his helmet on since he was working in the chemical lab before we decided to take this photo.
  • I heard that jet was succeeded by the B-6 Badger Junior, which has nearly double the air intake of its predecessor. 

Only five kerbalnauts left (who aren't in any ongoing missions or tourist runs), and it's Mission: Accomplished.

Name

Level

Specialty

Stationed At

Grarey

Pilot

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

Ralo

Scientist

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

Olivia

Scientist

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

Rabal

Engineer

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

Johnfrid

Scientist

Vall Pod

Jool (Orbit)

• 1 month later...

FROM THE OFFICE OF WERNHER VON KERMAN

To sum it up, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

mHQXuwY.png

Less than a day ago, Johnfrid Kerman and the Vall Girls safely splashed down on Kerbin's surface. For more details on his landing, read Johnfrid's entry from Y47D408 on the following Mission Report thread.

• Congratulations on his proposal to Olivia Kerman, by the way.

b9K7lw8.png

• Picture of Johnfrid and Olivia standing in front of the Pluto I capsule at night.

Though we currently have most of our personnel back home now, a good chunk of our active-duty kerbalnauts are still out in space. However, they're either part of ongoing tourist runs or the Laythe exploration efforts.

• Only a couple of kerbalnauts are at Duna testing the Dirtblood, but they're scheduled to return to Kerbin shortly. 

While we're expanding our presence on Laythe, we have been improving our game in the SSTO department. This is bound to have save us money on tourist runs, not to mention we'll increase our reputation as an efficient space program. Even if the model in question can reach the planet, but has inefficient thrust to land on the surface, we're working to make them docking-capable so that the landers and ore transports already in place can reach them. Aside from the usual tourist runs that we get, if we need to send someone to another planet again, we could always use one of our new plane designs.

• I swear, if we don't get to Tylo and Eve's surface soon, we'll be stuck as an airline company forever.

All talk about our new designs aside, I'm glad that everyone involved - including the one who was not to begin with (Johnfrid) - has made it back safe and sound. 

OPERATION: HOMECOMING IS A SUCCESS

Wernher Von Kerman

Year 47, Day 409

3H30M

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.