Issue with the New Update (Moar Boosters) Because of an Outdated Mod

So about last week I without thinking downloaded the new update for KSP, however I completely forgot to check that my mods wouldn't become an issue. So the next thing I know when I open KSP it doesn't even make it past the loading screen. I figured out through messing with the files that a mod I had installed called "surface lights" or something like that was causing the issue. I removed the mod from my game data and re opened the game. However, this time the issue was that my save game that I have been working on for 2 years was not loading. An error message would appear saying that a certain ship was missing x number parts (aka a ship i just launched had those same stupid surface lights on them) and asked if I would still like to continue, I clicked yes however it would just glitch out and nothing would happen. I tried everything I could think of: Removing the craft file, removing a recent quicksave so that only the quicksave I had from before I built the craft was there, and ive been researching everywhere since but ive hit many dead ends. I managed to just take the entire save and copy it onto my desktop for safekeeping and ive uninstalled the game. I am going to reinstall it to see if I can try a couple more things but Im not getting anywhere and I'd thought I'd give this a try. 

Edit: Thank you all for your help, recently I discovered the betas tab and was able to load the last update and everything was functional. I removed the craft that was causing the issues, quicksaved, and removed another quicksave file that was causing issues. I will try removing the persistent files and see what happens. Worst comes to worse I still have a copy of the original save. If it still acts up I'll evaluate the situation in terms of testing all the mods I have. And for now I managed to load up another world in the meantime to have some fun with the new update lol.

Edited by Another KSP player

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding your troubleshooting steps:

20 hours ago, Another KSP player said:

I removed the mod from my game data and re opened the game.

That's correct so far.

An error message would appear [...] I clicked yes

Be careful with this; when you click yes, it removes the vessel from your persistence file (which is the meat of the save), along with any crew, resources, data, or whatever else you may value that was on that vessel.  Often, it is better to wait for mods to update before you update the core KSP version because of this.

I tried everything I could think of: Removing the craft file, removing a recent quicksave so that only the quicksave I had from before I built the craft was there [...] I managed to just take the entire save and copy it onto my desktop for safekeeping and ive uninstalled the game.

You probably have another problem mod.  Surface Lights is just a parts mod (meaning that, so far as I know, it has no DLL files), and that means that it shouldn't be version-dependent unless the update seriously changes the way part definitions work.

Removing the craft file won't do anything; bad craft files simply won't load in the VAB.  Vessels built and launched from the VAB or SPH are stored in the persistence file; the craft file is only for building the same vessel again or for sharing a design with other people.

Likewise, removing quicksaves won't do anything until you try to load them, which is usually after you've tried to load the main persistence.  If your main persistence file is glitched, then you can replace it with a quicksave by removing the persistence and giving its name to the quicksave of your choice.

Unfortunately, the only way to really get to the core of the problem is to start with a clean KSP install and start adding mods one by one until you get to the one that breaks everything.  This close to the update, though, that list may still include most or all of them.  You can probably add part mods and you can definitely add the ones that are updated for the current version, but you're going to need to be careful for the rest.

21 hours ago, Another KSP player said:

I managed to just take the entire save and copy it onto my desktop for safekeeping

... which hopefully has all the old saves and mods, good! I strongly suggest, after downloading from Steam, to make a copy of the whole KSP folder and play from there, not from the Steam installation, this way you won't get an unpleasant surprise from a sudden update and resulting incompatibilities. Also, make frequent backups of your whole KSP installation, better safe than sorry ;) 

That said, just follow @Zhetaan's recommendations, and you should be fine. Make a fresh Steam download of KSP (and disable cloud saves), make a copy from that, add your mods one by one (check mod compatibility before adding), and you should be good again pretty soon. If everything works, copy your old saves to the new installation and check if you can load a save w/o issues.

Edited by VoidSquid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.