[0.16][STOCK] Undertow IX

FuryDrone

Hi there.

At first, I want to point out, tham I'm pretty new to KSP and space craft engineering, so my ships are not very efficient. I made this spacecraft after flying and analyzing amazing Munitaur II by Foursh, so you might find some inspiration here and there.

idZOt.jpg

More screenshoots: http://imgur.com/a/4NuYo

While making this rocket, my pilloting skills were, let's just say, not good. It is designed to have a lot of fuel for orbital maneuvering, more than you need. It might come usefull as new planets are on the way.

Lander is designed to be able to land on Mun and on Minimus in the same flight - althought I'm not sure if this would work, as for now I dont really know how to transfer for one moon to another (but I will figure it out!). Fuel tanks are in radial position, becouse engine looks damn sexy just under non-fuel-tank parts. Also, it improves stability.

Orbital stage might be hard to maneuver, thats why there are 2 rcs tanks above it. I recommend to do all decouples while having some thrust, becouse decoupled parts might decouple some of the engines as well.

There might be few bugs, right now some boosters wobble despite struts, orbital stages tend to spin sometimes, etc. I'm still working on this ship.

I would appreciate your suggestions, especially about ascent stages. I dont really know which boosters are more efficient in such construction - solid or liquid fueled, more shorter boosters or fewer longer ones; what launching sequence is better; etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and support.

I think it looks pretty good, you've got fuel lines and lots of boosters.

Solid Rocket Boosters are going to give you the most bang (thrust) for your buck (weight) but they are all or nothing. I tend to only use them while on orbital ascent, which is what it looks like you've got as well. I also like to have medium length liquid booster sections that pump fuel into other liquid boosters so that once they're empty I can drop their dead weight off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.