Remote probe will only connect to KSP not relay sats

I have three probes in a triangle pattern around Kerbin with relay antenna, a relay probe around Duna with a relay antenna, and a science probe around Duna with a non-relay antenna.

When Duna has line of sight to KSC, the science probe can relay through the Duna relay probe straight to KSC. But when Duna does not have LOS to KSC, the relay fails. I expected that the Duna relay should be able to connect to the relays around Kerbin, then down to KSC. But that's not the case. I can only connect when KSC has LOS to Duna. Suggestions?

Here is the comm net when KSC is facing Duna. You can see the link headed out to Duna at the top

Inline image

Now, when KSC is not facing Duna, there should be a link from one of the Kerbin relays but there isn't.

Inline image

Here is the relay sat used at Kerbin and at Duna. It has a RA-15 antenna.

Inline image

Something went wrong with your images but I guess you're relays are just out of range. I've put the two relay antennas into this spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIgFB8OXnlgpPCGsxv7JYUYQq5O671IcZXpumVaStek/edit?usp=sharing

And the result is: Signal strength a max distance is 0% and 64% at min distance between kerbin and duna. So depending on the current constellation, you might be just out of range. 

59 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Something went wrong with your images but I guess you're relays are just out of range. I've put the two relay antennas into this spread sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qIgFB8OXnlgpPCGsxv7JYUYQq5O671IcZXpumVaStek/edit?usp=sharing

And the result is: Signal strength a max distance is 0% and 64% at min distance between kerbin and duna. So depending on the current constellation, you might be just out of range. 

So does that mean that KSC has a stronger signal strength that my relay?

29 minutes ago, Timbo said:

So does that mean that KSC has a stronger signal strength that my relay?

If you have at least a level 2 tracking station, then yes, it's stronger. The RA-15 relay antenna can cover a distance of 27.39Gm (connection to level 2 tracking station), 61.24Gm (connection to level 3 tracking station) or 15Gm (connection to a second RA-15).

The distance between Duna and Kerbin varies between ~6Gm and ~35Gm, so your relay will only work while Duna is close.

On the bright site: If you can upgrade your relay satellites around Kerbin to a 100G relay antenna (RA-100), you should be able to connect to Duna at any distance without upgrading the relay around Duna (100G <-> 15G connection can cover ~38Gm)

You may want to check out the wiki page about this topic, it contains some helpful sheets:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CommNet

There are also these neat diagrams, which can be tricky to read on the first sight but once you've figured it out you will always know which antennas you should used to cover specific distances:

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

30 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

If you have at least a level 2 tracking station, then yes, it's stronger. The RA-15 relay antenna can cover a distance of 27.39Gm (connection to level 2 tracking station), 61.24Gm (connection to level 3 tracking station) or 15Gm (connection to a second RA-15).

The distance between Duna and Kerbin varies between ~6Gm and ~35Gm, so your relay will only work while Duna is close.

On the bright site: If you can upgrade your relay satellites around Kerbin to a 100G relay antenna (RA-100), you should be able to connect to Duna at any distance without upgrading the relay around Duna (100G <-> 15G connection can cover ~38Gm)

You may want to check out the wiki page about this topic, it contains some helpful sheets:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CommNet

There are also these neat diagrams, which can be tricky to read on the first sight but once you've figured it out you will always know which antennas you should used to cover specific distances:

Awesome. Many thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.