[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

The drag when using FAR is indeed extremely low compared to fully stock or previous releases of FAR. It would be awesome if the amount of drag would be balanced around stock KSP drag! As it stands now, it breaks gameplay by making it too easy to leave the atmosphere (atleast the one on Kerbin). Maybe the reason it is like this is that it is based on reality, but it makes little sense to use real world values for a scaled down world!

Then switch to the Real Solar System mod with the rescaled and actual Earth system. That is what I did. Problem solved.

@andrehsu: Aware of it, that's because it not only doesn't include any of the keywords in its title to load either of the shielding modules, it'll need the cargo bay one since it doesn't act as a fairing.

Is it possible to add some sort of module that will allow it to act like a cargo bay but not have to change the title of the part, like how the 6s compartment tubes managed to achieve?

@Renegrade: Make the plane bigger. Seriously, it lets you add a lot more wing than you think for the mass.

@andrehsu: That's the plan.

@Entropius: Something broke, which means you need to post the output_log.txt.

Is there any reason why FAR's analysis tools would refuse to graph any data for a particular craft? My craft flies (and quite well!), but FAR appears to have difficulty analyzing it.

http://imgur.com/a/BHb0L

I'm getting that with the latest tweakscale update. Another symptom I'm having is that stock SRBs fire in the VAB.

Then switch to the Real Solar System mod with the rescaled and actual Earth system. That is what I did. Problem solved.

Yes, but I like the smaller scale of everything. it makes the game faster. At least an option for stock-like drag would be fantastic for those who want to launch rockets using FAR aswell!

I built a MechJeb window to monitor losses and I got about 9m/s of drag loss on a 220T, 3.75m rocket with 2 x 2.5m boosters over its entire ascent! (i.e. established in a proper orbit on a little over 3K Delta v)

Remember that MechJeb doesn't 'see' the atmosphere anymore after FAR kicks in. So that 9 m/s in drag losses is basically what you're accumulating only before launch, just before FAR kicks in. If you have the right click options set in the FAR menu, you'll actually be able to right click on wings, nose cones, fuel tanks, etc to see what the drag is on the individual parts. It helped me realize my first gen wing was far too large for the mass I was carrying (and providing too much drag.)

Another symptom I'm having is that stock SRBs fire in the VAB.

Are you using HotRockets by any chance?

Edited by MainSailor

@Jetsim: Provide your output_log and full reproduction steps, and have the decency to wait before bumping. I have done exactly as you described many times and have never seen that behavior, so without more data, I cannot even hope to cause your issue.

@Kniben: The FARDebugMenu allows you to scale up all the aerodynamic forces by increasing the area factor. Increase it to something between 2-10 (depending on what you're using for numbers) and you'll have the fun of lift forces well beyond what they should be. You'll also have the fun of command pods behaving like leaves, but that's what you asked for.

FAR is an attempt to implement fully realistic aerodynamics in KSP. I will not sacrifice accuracy for the sake of staying closer to a drag model that has no basis in reality.

Upload your output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox or something.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Yes, but I like the smaller scale of everything. it makes the game faster. At least an option for stock-like drag would be fantastic for those who want to launch rockets using FAR aswell!

Then get KIDS so it rescales the engines thrust to match the MUCH smaller Kerbin.

And I launch rockets all the time in RSS+RO. I have no problems getting satellites and the occasional Kerbal into space. I have yet to successfully build a SSTO space plane in RSS+RO, but I have been working on other things, I have ideas I am sure will work. But it will take time.

That brings up a related but un-mod related question.. has anyone found a good pastebin alternative that accepts large files like the size of some of these log files?

Dropbox.

10chr

Before I ask my question, I'd like to thank Ferram4 and other contributors for their hard work on this mod and their patience and diligence in addressing the questions that so many of us have. This mod has certainly made KSP more challenging for me, to the point where I'm kicking a lot of bad habits I learned in stock. Please keep up the good work!

I have a question related to performing the gravity turn maneuver in rockets. The first has to do with a tendency for my rockets to pitch up at launch (this is without SAS enabled). I've noticed that this tends to happen quite regularly, and I was wondering if this is behavior that I should expect, or perhaps if the problem exists between the user and the keyboard. To some extent, adding tailfins with 4x symmetry helps (I usually place the fins near the engine), but I still usually end up about 20 degrees off of course when I try to fly east. According to KSP, my center of mass is in-line with the center of thrust and center of lift. Is this something that is I should correct with a roll maneuver, or is there likely some sort of instability issue with my rocket? If needed, I will post a sample craft file or image when I return from work for further inspection.

Is there any reason why FAR's analysis tools would refuse to graph any data for a particular craft? My craft flies (and quite well!), but FAR appears to have difficulty analyzing it.

Do you have the B9 fixes installed? The engines have that NaN bug that spreads throughout the craft and breaks FARs displays.

I had that happen as well, removing the short B9 landing gear fixed it. I'd guess something about them is confusing FAR.

Hi, with FAR v0.14.02 installed and using RealChute v1.2.2.2 my Rockets get dragged sideways (symmetric configuration). Depending on airspeed the problem gets worse and the rocket flips and breaks apart. (.24 / x64 / Win7)

I'm using FAR and procedural fairings, but the stuff inside the fairings is still subject to aerodynamic pressure and gets destroyed if I go to fast. Is there a workaround ?

Sorry is this has been asked before and thanks for this awesome mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.