Possible to clamp on anything to the Claw?

I've been trying to dock two ships with each other using a Claw. Is it possible to clamp onto any object, like rocket engines and scanners for instance? I've been testing this and I'm only able to connect to something like fuel tanks. I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong haha. 

31 minutes ago, xendelaar said:

I've been trying to dock two ships with each other using a Claw. Is it possible to clamp onto any object, like rocket engines and scanners for instance? I've been testing this and I'm only able to connect to something like fuel tanks. I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong haha. 

The Claw can grapple any part, but it can be bit finicky to get it to trigger.

Yes, a klaw can grab almost anything. However, you have to understand the one important rule about klaws: the klaw will only function if it is almost perpendicular to the surface that it is grabbing. So you need to understand the shape of the target object, or you have to try fifty times and get lucky.

There are some exceptions. A klaw cannot grab any kind of wheel, for example.

Edited by bewing

Thanks for the answers everybody!

@Pikapolar I want to grab a docked engine (which is connected to the ship with a docking port), undock that part, move it to a storage space and then swap it with another engine using a robot arm.. I need the Klaw to grab the end of the engine.

I've been testing an experimental setup and it does work, but it is veeery difficult to do... successfully, at least hehe.  (please don't ask why I want to do this... it's more of a "would it be possible?" kind of thing then a "wow, that would be super useful", kind of thing. ;)

Edited by xendelaar
replied to wrong person

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.