Airlocks for Fairings

Fairings are useful, you could build pretty much any shape you want, like domes or command capsules. But I face a problem when trying to build manned fairing vessels. 

1. the only part that looks like an airlock is the mk1 lander can, which means clipping into the main command modules, which leads to some terrifying IVA boxes.

2. Even mk1 lander can isn't a fully usable airlock, sometimes the only way to EVA outside requires offsetting the lander can more than half of the lander can's radius, which isn't very streamlined.

3. I asked the discord about the fairing bugs and one says that the fairing sometimes doesn't have a hitbox (except the fairing base), which sometimes prohibits the Kerbal ability to EVA inside the fairing ( for domes).

So with the next update coming soon,  pls maybe do some tweaking on the fairing or add an airlock.

On 5/23/2020 at 3:01 AM, Sirius K said:

Fairings are useful, you could build pretty much any shape you want, like domes or command capsules. But I face a problem when trying to build manned fairing vessels. 

1. the only part that looks like an airlock is the mk1 lander can, which means clipping into the main command modules, which leads to some terrifying IVA boxes.

2. Even mk1 lander can isn't a fully usable airlock, sometimes the only way to EVA outside requires offsetting the lander can more than half of the lander can's radius, which isn't very streamlined.

3. I asked the discord about the fairing bugs and one says that the fairing sometimes doesn't have a hitbox (except the fairing base), which sometimes prohibits the Kerbal ability to EVA inside the fairing ( for domes).

So with the next update coming soon,  pls maybe do some tweaking on the fairing or add an airlock.

Not having a hitbox has one main cause. That would be making the fairing the root part. Never do that.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:28 PM, Pds314 said:

Not having a hitbox has one main cause. That would be making the fairing the root part. Never do that.

my dome has landed and the sky crane is attached to the cupola but still, the fairing generates a solid hitbox, my kerbal can't eva out of most of the hatches in the dome, and if it did eva, kraken arrives, which is damn sad cuz the dome was successful in the tests ;.;

7 hours ago, Sirius K said:

solid hitbox

The fairings that close to a point have a solid collider.  Fairings that close on another part have a hollow collider.

You can enable the 'interstage nodes' on the fairing base, attach a nose-cone to one of the resulting green nodes, and then close the fairing on that nose-cone.

6 hours ago, OHara said:

The fairings that close to a point have a solid collider.  Fairings that close on another part have a hollow collider.

You can enable the 'interstage nodes' on the fairing base, attach a nose-cone to one of the resulting green nodes, and then close the fairing on that nose-cone.

Does this only work for a fairing that attaches to a part that is on one of its interstage nodes or just closing a part also work?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.