Heading to Minmus

Heading to Minmus

Crew: Jebediah and Bill

Today I visited the most delicious moon of the Kerbal system Minmus. I basically thought it would be like getting to the Mun and it was, but just had to move the Prograde handle farther out. After that I waited to get in the SOI and did a capture burn. Finally I made a maneuver to get into a Minmus orbit, and next time I think I am ready to send some other Kerbals to Minmus. :)

30 minutes ago, Little Kerbonaut! said:

Thank you! Do you know the amount of meters per second you have to be going though? :)

If you mean landing then 0m/s is what you are aiming for :D.But I think that you mean how much delta V is required for a landing mission to Minmus and this Dv map is what many of us use for planning. To land you will need at least  4660 dv (note - this does not tell you how much it takes to get back to kerbin from the surface which is about 800dv [edit] if you use aerocapture at kerbin]):

Edited by James Kerman
Added edit

2 hours ago, Little Kerbonaut! said:

Oh ok,  but am I more likely to crash when trying to land then on the Mun or am I less likely to crash?

Minmus has less mass, therefore less gravity than the Mun so I'd say landing on Minmus is easier than the Mun.

If we look at the dv map we see it takes a minimum of 4660 dv to land on Minmus and 5120 dv to land on the Mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.