FPS drop when i build ships with more than 200 parts

Hi guys,

i have the problem that my game lose fps when i build rockets/ ships with more than 200 parts .. not in VAB but when i wanna launch my vessel :( it becomes unplayable for me :/
i installed 133 mods .. yeah its a lot i know .. but i've played games with much better graphic and way more mods installed.

my pc specs:
intel core i5-3550 (4 cores with each 3,30 Ghz)
24 GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 (Gigabyte 4 GB GDDR5)

KSP just uses 30 -40% of my cpu, 6 - 12GB Ram and round about 15% of my gpu

i already tryed to lower the grapics and the physics settings of the game. but still massive fps drop with a 300 part vessel -.-

does someone can help me here please?
thanks and have a nice day ppl

EDIT: i have KSP 1.8.1 installed

Edited by Asarjan

It's pretty normal for everyone to see fps drop as part count increases. There are hundreds of theads on here about KSP performance.

KSP isn't well optimized for large craft.  Which mods you have and what game settings you use can have a strong influence. Really the only fix is to upgrade your computer or be less ambitious with what you expect from the game.

There’s no way around it. KSP can’t deal with huge crafts with high part counts and no amount of extra RAM or better graphics cards will fix it.
The game is trying to keep track of each individual part, what it’s attached to and how and the forces acting on them (thermal, aerodynamic, mechanical etc.) and that takes a lot of processing; more parts makes it even slower, and flying in an atmosphere makes it slower too as there’s the aero stuff to worry about too.

2 hours ago, Asarjan said:

KSP just uses 30 -40% of my cpu,

KSP uses a single core for calculating the physics of a craft. So if you see a combined usage of more than 25% on a quad core CPU that indicates, that it's already running at full speed and is the limiting factor.

12 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

KSP uses a single core for calculating the physics of a craft. So if you see a combined usage of more than 25% on a quad core CPU that indicates, that it's already running at full speed and is the limiting factor.

It does use multiple cores for other stuff, but as Harry states each individual craft is single core.

The only way around it would be, if your cpu, mobo and bios allows it, to drop the number of cores/threads and increase the boost freq.

5 hours ago, Asarjan said:

Hi guys,

i have the problem that my game lose fps when i build rockets/ ships with more than 200 parts .. not in VAB but when i wanna launch my vessel :( it becomes unplayable for me :/
i installed 133 mods .. yeah its a lot i know .. but i've played games with much better graphic and way more mods installed.

my pc specs:
intel core i5-3550 (4 cores with each 3,30 Ghz)
24 GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 (Gigabyte 4 GB GDDR5)

KSP just uses 30 -40% of my cpu, 6 - 12GB Ram and round about 15% of my gpu

i already tryed to lower the grapics and the physics settings of the game. but still massive fps drop with a 300 part vessel -.-

does someone can help me here please?
thanks and have a nice day ppl

EDIT: i have KSP 1.8.1 installed

just use 199 parts

3 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

It's pretty normal for everyone to see fps drop as part count increases. There are hundreds of theads on here about KSP performance.

KSP isn't well optimized for large craft.  Which mods you have and what game settings you use can have a strong influence. Really the only fix is to upgrade your computer or be less ambitious with what you expect from the game.

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

There’s no way around it. KSP can’t deal with huge crafts with high part counts and no amount of extra RAM or better graphics cards will fix it.
The game is trying to keep track of each individual part, what it’s attached to and how and the forces acting on them (thermal, aerodynamic, mechanical etc.) and that takes a lot of processing; more parts makes it even slower, and flying in an atmosphere makes it slower too as there’s the aero stuff to worry about too.

i googled the issue and i already expected that :/ but i was hoping that i missed a fix or work around by my search :(

2 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

It does use multiple cores for other stuff, but as Harry states each individual craft is single core.

The only way around it would be, if your cpu, mobo and bios allows it, to drop the number of cores/threads and increase the boost freq.

i do can change the amount of cores used by ksp via task manager, ill try to let ksp use only 2 cores .. maybe it helps a lil bit

thanks for the replies ppl :)

1 hour ago, Asarjan said:

oof .. thats almost impossible to keep part count at 199 :/

try nertea's mods, thats what I use, they have parts that fill niches requiring multiple parts plus they look great. NFLV is helpful for rockets larger than 3.75

1 minute ago, SpaceFace545 said:

try nertea's mods, thats what I use, they have parts that fill niches requiring multiple parts plus they look great. NFLV is helpful for rockets larger than 3.75

i already use all Near Future mods .. the main problem are all those science tools and of course i want my vessels looks cool ;D

1 hour ago, Asarjan said:

i do can change the amount of cores used by ksp via task manager, ill try to let ksp use only 2 cores .. maybe it helps a lil bit

No it won't.

The thing is that if your CPU and Motherboard supports dynamic overclocking (or boost as it's often called in BIOS).

Then you can reduce the number of cores used and increase the speed of those in use.

But as I said, in BIOS, not but reducing their use in the OS.

Reducing the number of core used by an application (as KSP) will only slow it down.

KSP does use multiple cores/threads, but not for one single craft.

Edited by Curveball Anders

19 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

No it won't.

The thing is that if your CPU and Motherboard supports dynamic overclocking (or boost as it's often called in BIOS).

Then you can reduce the number of cores used and increase the speed of those in use.

But as I said, in BIOS, not but reducing their use in the OS.

Reducing the number of core used by an application (as KSP) will only slow it down.

KSP does use multiple cores/threads, but not for one single craft.

this wont happen .. because i would have to change my bios settings every time when i wanna play ksp and after i played ksp and wanna do something else -.-

26 minutes ago, Asarjan said:

jeah .. so lets hope ksp 2 .. if it will be released, is better optimized ;)

Multicore/thread within a vehicle isn't an easy thing.

It's not about optimizing, it's about doing it all from the bottom.

And while KSP2 is a completely new game, I wonder if they'll write a physics engine all by them self, or use an existing one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.