Trying to Land on Minmus

Crew: Jebediah, Bill, and Bob

The Story: So I was sending a lander to Minmus to practice landing it on Duna. I got so close landing it a few times but every time I ignited my engines my Ap increased so I kept ascending. Next I got so close but I ended up bouncing up and flying back up. Finally I touched the surface but I ended up tipping over and ended up blowing up my antenna and broke my entire lander.

One: who said you needed to use an SSTO?

Two: landing near something is pretty easy. Just get into orbit and then burn retrograde when you start to get close to your target. Or something. It’d be easier with pictures. Also, it’s minmus so you should be able to land quite far and still be able to make it to the rescue ship. Kerbalkind have EVA jet packs for a reason!

4 hours ago, Little Kerbonaut! said:

The problem though Is that I prefer SSTO’S for my long missions but I have to land in water every time since I can’t land on the surface.

Well vertical ssto's are possible if you use mammoths. Maybe if your docking skills are good enough, you can do something similar to starship, where you launch a vertical ssto with landing legs, and continuously refuel it until it has enough dv to rescue them. If that's too hard, then you should just use a cargo ssto to launch a second lander, with less powerful engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.