KSP in full-screen windowed mode! quick 'n simple (windows only)

Moach

hello multi-monitor users and window border dislikers - heres a treat!

turns out it IS perfectly possible to run KSP in a best-of-both worlds full-screen windowed mode, i.e. a display mode where the primary screen can completely filled - no borders - and no minimizing if you click outside or anything

how to enable it is pretty simple, albeit not a button on the settings page, but somewhat straightforward, anyways

simply create a shortcut for KSP - anywhere you'd like

then open the properties dialog for it and where you see the file target, add the following command after KSP.exe

-popupwindow

so C:\ksp_win\ksp.exe becomes C:\ksp_win\ksp.exe - popupwindow

now, when you run the game via that shortcut, it'll appear without those unsightly, cumbersome borders, and once you set the window size o match your screen resolution - voliá! you got full-screen window mode!

alas, it only works on windows platform, and it's a back-end thing, not something squad could simply fix for other OS's, i guess....

cheers!

Woohoo, doing this allows Hypercam to record fullscreen video of DirectX games. Previously I was getting a black screen for fullscreen videos. Thanks so much.

ETA: I do know that other games, WoW for instance, offer a fullscreen-windowed mode. I'm not sure whether that option is available for all platforms, but it is possible to integrate it into the game. I don't pretend to have any idea how that's supposed to be done, but still.

Edited by Jason Patterson

alas, it only works on windows platform, and it's a back-end thing, not something squad could simply fix for other OS's, i guess....

Not sure what other OSes you are talking about, as the only other OS that is officially supported is MacOS, and as for unsupported OSes (aka. Linux ;) ), this method works just as well, as I have repeatedly tested and stated in several threads asking about exactly this.

In short, the bad news: It probably doesn't work for Mac users. The good news though is for Linux users: just launch $ wine KSP.exe -popupwindow, or create a shortcut in the manner Moach described.

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the rather obvious question, but I seem to be missing something here. The basic short cut that is setup by Steam doesn't show a "Target" so it cannot be altered. So I tried to go into the KSP folder, created a short cut for KSP.exe and under Shortcut Target if I Try and add -popupwindow without spaces (C:\ksp_win\ksp.exe-popupwindow) or with as you show above (C:\ksp_win\ksp.exe - popupwindow) I get a Problem with Shortcut error, basically telling me that the Target is not valid and to make sure the path and file name are correct.

Any help on this would be amazing, I've been trying to find way to play Full Windowed for a bit now.

Sorry for the rather obvious question, but I seem to be missing something here. The basic short cut that is setup by Steam doesn't show a "Target" so it cannot be altered. So I tried to go into the KSP folder, created a short cut for KSP.exe and under Shortcut Target if I Try and add -popupwindow without spaces (C:\ksp_win\ksp.exe-popupwindow) or with as you show above (C:\ksp_win\ksp.exe - popupwindow) I get a Problem with Shortcut error, basically telling me that the Target is not valid and to make sure the path and file name are correct.

Any help on this would be amazing, I've been trying to find way to play Full Windowed for a bit now.

In Steam:

Right Click on Kerbal Space Program -> Properties -> Set Launch options

Then simply enter "-popupwindow", press OK and enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found a much easier way to do this if you just want fullscreen.

Make a shortcut

Properties

shortcut options

Run (Set as Maximised in the pull down menu)

And it gives you a window much like the internet browser. (Top bar with minimize and close buttons)

• 2 months later...

Another way to run the Steam Version is to create a shortcut on your desktop directly to the ksp.exe file. This seems to bypass the Steam launcher and all its cruft.

• 1 month later...
I found a much easier way to do this if you just want fullscreen.

Make a shortcut

Properties

shortcut options

Run (Set as Maximised in the pull down menu)

And it gives you a window much like the internet browser. (Top bar with minimize and close buttons)

Actually, this isn't a much easier way as it doesn't do what the instructions in the opening post do. The instructions in the opening post make the window have no borders, that is, no top bar with minimize and close buttons, no window borders, just the game. Your suggestion simply makes the existing window maximized and doesn't remove the borders.

In short, the bad news: It probably doesn't work for Mac users.

Thankfully I don't think this is a problem for Mac users since KSP has native full-screen support. This means KSP only takes up one 'space' full-screened, allowing you to use a different 'space' for your other monitor. Of course I could be wrong since I've only got the one screen.

There is a setting in the game that will give you full screen without the window border. Just be sure to click on it in the correct order so that you don't lose the ability to save the setting by losing its button. You should set the resolution to your monitor's native resolution setting or that of the flat screen TV if using one as a monitor.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay this is really annoying! I have the steam version. I habe right clicked the game, then gone to launch options, then typed in "-popupwindow" and then saved and launched the game and it's still minimizing the window when I click on my other screen! I tried the -popupwindow with and without quotes? What the bloody hell am I doing wrong???

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.