Mun base

So, i wanted to make my first mun base, containing of 1 main module, and 4 around him (main module and 2 side modules on the photos) but made a little love up, and the side modules are slightly tilted relative to the main module, so my question is: If all of 4 side modules will be tilted exactly the same way, will this vessel be able to fly straight?

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/PECpVDd

Engine gimbal and reaction wheels can correct for some misalignment. If you are using regular docking ports and not the claw, you can fix the alignment by setting base to a vector such as normal, undocking, using rcs to stop relative to the center vehicle, set BOTH  to that same vector, then dock with rcs. You have to eyeball the docking because you are not using the docks as control points. Sas will align everything other than roll which will be aligned by the docking ports. 

40 minutes ago, DocDan said:

Engine gimbal and reaction wheels can correct for some misalignment. If you are using regular docking ports and not the claw, you can fix the alignment by setting base to a vector such as normal, undocking, using rcs to stop relative to the center vehicle, set BOTH  to that same vector, then dock with rcs. You have to eyeball the docking because you are not using the docks as control points. Sas will align everything other than roll which will be aligned by the docking ports. 

Could you explain it to me, like i'm a beginner(which i'm)?

Just now, czarniecki said:

Could you explain it to me, like i'm a beginner(which i'm)?

Can i ask how do you plan to get those on the ground?

I dont see any engines on the main body of your base.

You will most likely be able to fly straight with gimbal and rcs controls, but you can always change the thrust limiter and limit those engines that cause the most trouble.

45 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Can i ask how do you plan to get those on the ground?

I dont see any engines on the main body of your base.

You will most likely be able to fly straight with gimbal and rcs controls, but you can always change the thrust limiter and limit those engines that cause the most trouble.

On the second photo you can see the poodle engine.

44 minutes ago, czarniecki said:

On the second photo you can see the poodle engine.

Hmmm, I dont think its possible to land with your current configuration.

The poodle engine has limited gimbal and your RCS/SAS is very weak, even when you decouple all the other fuel tanks and engines, its still gonna be extremely hard to control.

My suggestions are maybe three:

1)Put a LOT more powerful RCS and more SAS and see how it goes.

or

2)Put more engines and if you dont want them around put them in decouplers and after you land decouple them and use the tracking station to collect their debris, feels a bit cheaty, you can send a vessel to simulate their destruction or something, recovery

or

3)Try thinking about horizontal base designs and landings with side engines or just more complicated deliveries.

Edited by Boyster

13 hours ago, Boyster said:

The poodle engine has limited gimbal and your RCS/SAS is very weak, even when you decouple all the other fuel tanks and engines, its still gonna be extremely hard to control.

or

2)Put more engines and if you dont want them around put them in decouplers and after you land decouple them and use the tracking station to collect their debris, feels a bit cheaty, you can send a vessel to simulate their destruction or something, recovery

or

3)Try thinking about horizontal base designs and landings with side engines or just more complicated deliveries.

I almost landed it. If only i had like 50 m/s more, i would've done it.

How do you put more sas

https://imgur.com/a/ZeoDQA8

13 hours ago, Boyster said:

or

or

Also, at what kerbrin orbit should i assemble my base? This one is at 300km above surface, but maybe it's better to do it on 100, or it just doesn't make any diffrence?

4 hours ago, czarniecki said:

I almost landed it. If only i had like 50 m/s more, i would've done it.

How do you put more sas

https://imgur.com/a/ZeoDQA8

Also, at what kerbrin orbit should i assemble my base? This one is at 300km above surface, but maybe it's better to do it on 100, or it just doesn't make any diffrence?

I meant more/stronger Reaction wheels,  does KER have a Suicide Burn Timer?

I use Mechjeb and has this handy info on Time to Impact and the Suicide Burn timer,

really helps with landing with the lowest possible DV and also has the option to show where you gonna land and how far from your target you gonna be.

Assembling is up to you, it doesnt matter, what is best for oyu.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:35 PM, Boyster said:

does KER have a Suicide Burn Timer?

I use Mechjeb and has this handy info on Time to Impact and the Suicide Burn timer,

really helps with landing with the lowest possible DV and also has the option to show where you gonna land and how far from your target you gonna be.

@czarniecki KER (=Kerbal Engineer Redux, a mod that displays useful informations) has a suicide burn timer. This is a countdown for the moment when you have to hit „Z“ to not crash into the surface.

Did you have any issues with the balance of the vessel when you tried to land it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.