Land on Stuff

I had an
oops.png

That, sir...is one of the funniest screenshots I have seen in a long time.

My own attempts to land on other worlds have had mixed results. My first experimental craft sent Jeb all the way to eve, where he was killed when the chute ripped off the command pod (it fully deployed at 50m/s and with only the Mk.1 pod attached to it. Seems that thick atmosphere is a tricky one to deal with). All my later attempts have used the heavier 3-man pod and as yet haven't even made it into orbit.

Actually getting to other worlds seems pretty easy...it's getting the darned ships into orbit that's causing me headaches. Lagsplosions and more literal explosions everywhere.

This is my first Eve landing. I hope Jeb is happy with his new home because his small ship is nowhere near able to get away from Eve's pull.

QpCUa.png

And the rocket used to get there

n4ShX.png

It wasn't exactly my first landing there, I actually sent another rocket before but I wasn't aware of the extreme atmosphere on Eve so the chute ripped apart while the ship was still very high. I was expecting the ship to explode on impact so I tried to "EVA-drop" the kerbal a moment before the ship hit the ground to try and save the kerbal but he actually died while the ship survived (1 leg out of 3 and the engine exploded). If Jeb feels like walking to the other side of Eve he'll find some scrap and fuel he can use :)

That, sir...is one of the funniest screenshots I have seen in a long time.

My own attempts to land on other worlds have had mixed results. My first experimental craft sent Jeb all the way to eve, where he was killed when the chute ripped off the command pod (it fully deployed at 50m/s and with only the Mk.1 pod attached to it. Seems that thick atmosphere is a tricky one to deal with). All my later attempts have used the heavier 3-man pod and as yet haven't even made it into orbit.

Actually getting to other worlds seems pretty easy...it's getting the darned ships into orbit that's causing me headaches. Lagsplosions and more literal explosions everywhere.

I hit eve going like 3500 m/s. Thankfully I had 5 chutes, thought i did pull like 300 g's :D

lAkf8h.png

Orbit approach

67Sqch.png

Cool picture

Kssmlh.png

Orbiting Ike

Jjcm9h.png

Coming in hot

DBPAPh.png

Getting there.

t4pEMh.png

Touchdown!

2c9Yzh.png

Blastoff again, this time Duna!

n66Idh.png

Pretty red planet....

1YcIAh.png

Is this Duna, or mars?

zPk26h.png

Jeb accomplishes another "masterful" landing...

1V5qjh.png

He opted to jettison the parachute after entry to maximize the craft's thrust/weight ratio and conserve as much fuel as possible.

I used literally every last drop of fuel from this thing... I will upload a picture of the craft on the pad later on.

VOLUME WARNING

Was watching this guy when he was streaming.

When he has an EPIC freakout when he lands on Duna.

BTW, he's landing with a parachute because he ran out of fuel. Still a landing, though. :P

Woo, my space ship in use by someone else :D. He nicknamed it "the Penetrator". It was loltastic watching him land.

I landed on jool.. My kerbal had a seizer and just layed down and twitched. fun stuff =D

How did you manage that? The experience I had was that the lander went past 0 on the altimeter and then shortly after crashed into the clouds.

screenshot5.png

When The parachute deployed I was going about 2 m/s. I took forever to get down

screenshot13.png

I noticed something was wrong when the radar altimeter wasn't picking up anything.

screenshot14.png

I fell about 100 meters through the surface before hitting the clouds.

screenshot18.png

Real men only do round trips...

...and those are mighty hard without docking. Duna is possible without (using 1-man pod), some of the others probably not. I have a 3-man pod version for Joolian moons all specced and ready to go with several test flights done around Kerbin but the docking addon required isn't yet 0.17 compatible... :(

o/ Nothing fancy for me yet. I am working with the IVA stuff. I probably should have vidcorded it, but ahh well. Successful traditional Mun landing using only IVA controls. Same for orbital launch etc. I did use map to make sure I had orbit, but outside of map usage, it was all IVA. Next stop Minmus with a three man, then to the planet hopping!

Will add this as well. In the mk1 pod and I assume the same for the mk 3, when you cannot see the horizon, ground or anything and all you can see is the instruments the ADI really makes you freak out. Never notice watching it external, but it goes into a freakout mode momentarily on touchdown. I thought for sure I blew it. Yay radar altimeter! I was so excited to hop down to see how close to the mark (a small crater) I was that I forgot to deploy the ladders and sort of fell to the surface ^.^

Edited by Markus Reese

That new radar altimeter is indeed VERY nice.

My own landing on Eve, somewhat late to the party:

Landing burn (I still had an entire stage left. Next planned mission is to get to Duna and then attempt a return to kerbin. may not land for that mission though.):

screenshot25.png

Landed.

screenshot49.png

As you can tell from my MET, I messed up my insertion and had to improvise a bit. It doesn't actually seem to be that hard to get to new planets. Getting back is going to be interesting though.

Would one need more parachutes to land on a planet with a thinner atmosphere than kerbin?

currently approaching duna with a huge craft and like 15 parachutes on it. guess i'll find out soon enough if nobody can tell me, lol.

Well, I made it to Duna. My intention was to test my NM-1 craft on a return voyage...but it turns out that parachutes + heavy craft is WORSE than just having the heavy craft. So I'm trying again with a more optimised launcher and seeing what I can land....with even larger parachutes. If those don't work, I'm just ditching them and doing full powered landings without a drogue.

Still. For a first attempt at getting to Duna, it wasn't too bad.

[spoiler=]screenshot66.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.