In space, no one can hear your game - KSP 1.10 No Audio

Hello everyone, I'm trying to get KSP to play audio on my linux computer but with no luck.

I downloaded a copy of KSP 1.10(.1.2939) from the website, but even when all of the settings in game have the volume up, there's no sound. Worse, if you go to desktop volume settings KSP shows up - you can raise and lower it's non-existent volume - so the computer knows something is suppose to be there.

I tried running ksp with a flag like so:

./KSP.x86_64 -force-glcore

But it didn't help.  I even tried setting some environment variables like so:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64

But nothing. Doing both doesn't fix the problem either. I don't really know what to do next and searching leads to a dead end.

Weirdly enough KSP 1.9's sound works perfectly fine.

I'm running Arch Linux 64-bit with KDE (Plasma 5.19), a Ryzen 7 CPU (3700X) and a Nvidia 2080 GPU

Help :(

14 hours ago, nmd said:

I don't really know what to do next and searching leads to a dead end.

The first things I would try are a) testing with a new user account to eliminate per-user pulseaudio configuration, and b) disabling pulseaudio altogether, In which case KSP/Unity will fall back to traditional ALSA for sound.

I don't use pulseaudio myself (in fact I consider it bloatware), but I hear it's the default in Arch, so you'd want to hit up the arch wiki on how to debug and/or temporarily disable/bypass it for testing.

Other than that, a copy of Player.log might be interesting. IME it rarely contains any audio related info, but it wouldn't hurt.

Edited by steve_v

On 9/12/2020 at 3:59 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Uninstall/reinstall? Your download may have been corrupted in some way, so save your save games somewhere outside the KSP directory then uninstall and reinstall the game from scratch.

It's a fresh install (downloaded from KSP's store)

On 9/12/2020 at 4:50 AM, steve_v said:

The first things I would try are a) testing with a new user account to eliminate per-user pulseaudio configuration,

I don't have any per-user pulseaudio config (only one user) but I decided to throw security out the window and run KSP as root. It didn't work

and b) disabling pulseaudio altogether, In which case KSP/Unity will fall back to traditional ALSA for sound.

I ran

systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service

And that didn't work either :(

Other than that, a copy of Player.log might be interesting. IME it rarely contains any audio related info, but it wouldn't hurt.

I couldn't find a player.log, but there is a KSP.log, and I did find something interesting there:

[LOG 16:55:00.624] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From LOADING to MAINMENU =====================
[LOG 16:55:01.084] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'ContractDefs' from assembly 'KSP'
[LOG 16:55:01.113] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[LOG 16:55:01.357] [GameParameters]: Loaded custom parameter class CommNetParams.
[LOG 16:55:01.358] [GameParameters]: Loaded custom parameter class MissionParamsGeneral.
[LOG 16:55:01.358] [GameParameters]: Loaded custom parameter class MissionParamsFacilities.
[LOG 16:55:01.358] [GameParameters]: Loaded custom parameter class MissionParamsExtras.
[LOG 16:55:01.360] [GameParameters]: Loaded custom parameter class AdvancedParams.
[LOG 16:55:01.388] [ReflectionUtil]: Found 19 types with UpgradeModule attribute in 1 assemblies.
[LOG 16:55:01.470] [ScenarioTypes]: List Created 21 scenario types loaded from 1 loaded assemblies.
[WRN 16:55:01.477] File '/home/dash/Games/ksp/ksp10/game/KSP_Data/../Missions/MissionScoreInfo.cfg' does not exist
[LOG 16:55:01.480] [ApplicationLauncher] Awake False
[LOG 16:55:01.481] [ApplicationLauncher] SpawnSimpleLayout: VerticalTopDown
[LOG 16:55:01.491] [UiApp] Awake: 
[LOG 16:55:01.492] [ApplicationLauncher] OnSceneLoadedGUIReady: scene MAINMENU ShouldBeVisible() True ShouldBeOnTop() True iIsPositionedAtTop True
[ERR 16:55:01.497] Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for resource sharedassets0.resource, (Unsupported file or audio format. )

[ERR 16:55:01.497] Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for resource sharedassets0.resource, (Unsupported file or audio format. )

[LOG 16:55:01.514] [UIApp] Adding  to Application Launcher
[LOG 16:55:01.517] [ApplicationLauncher] SetHidden: 
[LOG 16:55:01.532] [MessageSystem] OnAppInitialized
[LOG 16:55:01.532] [MessageSystem] Reposition 0.05547084 6988

Does anyone know what the FMOD::sound instance is? Is it relevant?

Edited by nmd
Previous edit was for spelling

On 9/20/2020 at 9:04 AM, nmd said:

Does anyone know what the FMOD::sound instance is?

I know what FMOD is, but I've not seen that error before.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:04 AM, nmd said:

Is it relevant?

Probably.

For the logs:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.