K&K Nuclear Reactor

GlaciacUtopiian

Should i use the Nuclear Reactor for any long-term planet landing colonies? I'm thinking of having a large base on the Mun to start, and i need a way to power it. I don't know if this is better than a massive battery bank and a load of solar panels. I think it should be stated that although i've had this game for a year or two, i made it once to the Mun successfully, and landed a probe with help from a community member on the Discord. (Find a picture of that on my Steam gallery). I am on sandbox right now, so i don't blow my mind trying to get the tech tree first. 

With all that aside, is it possible to "refuel" the Nuclear Reactor? And, how do you empty its waste and depleted uranium?

I assume these are nuclear reactors from one of the near future mods or the Kerbal atomics mod.

If that is the case then you have to wait for them to fully cool down, which takes years. You can then transfer the depleted uranium into an empty uranium container on the ship, and then transfer new fuel into the reactor. As such if the plan is to refuel you always want 1 active reactor and 1 standby reactor so when the first one runs out of fuel you can let the other one run for years, at which point you can finally refuel the first one again.

Edited by MechBFP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.