Captcha's Between Pages

Kernel Kraken

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, Aperture Science said:

someone's mining crypto on your pc or something and your IP got marked as suspicious

Or someone has a dynamic IP and just gets this crap inflicted on them randomly because "oh noes, suspicious activity".

CAPTCHAs are nothing more than webhosts trying to roll out "protection" for their sites for zero effort on their end.  Can't be bothered culling bot accounts or binning spam? Use CAPTCHAs. Too lazy to set up a proper password policy? CAPTCHA on the login page. Don't want to deal with disgruntled customers? CAPTCHA on the ticket system too... Extra points if it's so hard they give up without posting.

They're not particularly difficult to thwart, and I personally find it extra delicious to use google's own speech recognition tech to do so.

8 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Or someone has a dynamic IP and just gets this crap inflicted on them randomly because "oh noes, suspicious activity".

Ever since I got a new fibre optic line at home this has been a problem particularly when first starting to search on Google from incognito mode. Think other than that they just looked at their own cookies (plus I am logged in to their site using my account on the browser).

Not on this forum though - but idk, maybe because I never opened it in incognito mode and logged into it.

1 minute ago, YNM said:

starting to search on Google from incognito mode

Google considers not allowing them to track your every move "suspicious activity".

Denying cookies, using incognito mode all the time, using TOR at all, apparently those are not what good compliant internet sheep do and such behaviour must be punished. Solving CAPTCHAs while not logged into google (or using tab isolation)? Guess what, that's naughty too. They'll get progressively harder each time until you land at "suspicious activity"...

Of course if one is using Chrome this doesn't really apply, because sites Google operates are exempt from cookie policy anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.