Kerbosynchronous orbit

The challenge is simple, Using ONLY STOCK PARTS, design and launch a vessel that can achieve a Kerbosynchronous orbit http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/~kerbalsp/wiki/index.php?title=Kerbosynchronous_Orbit and stay there indefinitely (return to Kerbin is not necessary).

Since Kerbin doesn't yet rotate, we'll define this as an orbit with a period of 24 hours. Please submit .craft files and screenshots. I'm not sure if surface features are even visible from that altitude (over 8 megameters) so I don't know what those screenshots will look like.

No, I haven't even attempted this yet, let alone succeeded. The delta-V needed for a Hohmann transfer is pretty impressive, but it'll be a good way to pass the time this weekend.

8,140,000m to be almost exact that's about a 24 hour 4 min 19 second flight orbit. and yes Kearth is visible from there I'm pretty sure, its like 40,000,000m to 60,000,000m that Kearth disappears.

ill get a success p quick and post my screens (at least i think, having orbited much higher before.)

I don't see a problem with re-skins, as long as the underlying stats aren't changed.

I wasn't able to make any attempts this weekend since my video card decided to bite it. I put the old one back in, but don't have 64-bit drivers for it so it looks like crap and won't run KSP. :(

Big gaming convention this next weekend, so I won't have time to RMA the card until next week. This makes for an unhappy lizard.

It was indeed quite easy mission.

Properly made it would be time consuming but becouse of Jebs impatience and lack of finacial limits it became doable for me too.

I managed to give escape velocity (a bit over it in fact) at 72km to over 4 fuel tanks.

Space ship should be around given altitude after over 1 hour but my kerbals fell asleep and I took counteractions 400km too high (that will have efect at the end of the mission).

I came back to 8141km and set speed at 645,6 m/s (1:45 mission time).

At around 2:44 mission time space ship hit apogee: 8146km with speed 645,0 m/s.

Becouse Bob promissed his mom to be back before supper ship started to lose speed just after estimating that orbit's perigee will be around 8127km with total orbit time of 23 hours 59 minutes and 14 seconds.

Leaving 200 m/s horizontal speed and greatly accelerating vertically turned out to be a huge mistake. At the moment kerbals are awaiting rescue at eliptical orbit 684km / 3119 km.

Guest LoSboccacc

wow I tried with a lightweight craft aiming for an Hohmann transfer and it will take 4 hours to reach orbit! I brought enought delta-v to complete it but I will abort this run and try a powered ascent too :'(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.