Kerbals in eva chairs in fairings generate drag

I found this when trying to replicate bradley whistances minimalist moho mission.

Kerbals in eva chairs generate drag even when in a fairing. It seems to be a bug.

Is there any fix or work around for this?

In the original install I tried to do this in I had mechjeb, kerbal engineer, and some visual mods installed. I don't think any of them would affect them but either way I tried it on a fresh unmoded install and the same issue persisted.

That was once a bug, but it was resolved for version 1.4.5.   Which version of KSP are you using? 

Recently the protection for loose Kerbals bouncing around in a cargo bay has been sadly lost (bug link) but I still see Kerbals in the chairs being shielded and drag-free.  Maybe link to some description of your craft and we might find out what is the difference.

[Edit: Maybe this video (link) in which case I guess you made the fairing slightly too small and KSP's rules for fairings decide the Kerbal does not fit.  The only solution I know is to use alt-F12 "aero-GUI" to look at the drag values on the Kerbal, through may iterations of rebuilding that fairing.]

Edited by OHara

Ok I figured it out. Thanks for trying to help ^-^. The fairing was to small. But I fixed it by moving the eva chair so that the bottom barley sticks out of the fairing with out expanding it. This allows the kerbal to be occluded along with the chair. Tho also another bug is that quick saveing and quick loading in occludes the kerbal. Idk if actually expanding the fairing this time will fix it or not but I'm happy with this so far.

Also if anyone else wants to attempt a mission like this using juno engines to get to orbit. Use oscar tanks instead of cubic struts to attach engines and air intakes. The cubic struts generate more drag even when it's nodes r occupied than the oscar tanks for some reason.

I'm still having a bit of trouble getting past the sound barrier but this helps a lot.

Also why did squad make the aerodynamic system so janky!?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.