Pitch, Roll, Yaw control on Mac

New player just working through tutorials.  My W, A, S, D inputs for pitch and yaw control are not incremental, they max out immediately when pressed, then return immediately to 0 when released.  Is that as expected?  I expected incremental input similar to the throttle changes, and it makes control of the ship very erratic.  If the input is supposed to be incremental, has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a fix?

Thanks!

do you have rcs?

that usually happens without rcs

if your engines are firing it might work. But only with SAS

11 minutes ago, aquince said:

New player just working through tutorials.  My W, A, S, D inputs for pitch and yaw control are not incremental, they max out immediately when pressed, then return immediately to 0 when released.  Is that as expected?  I expected incremental input similar to the throttle changes, and it makes control of the ship very erratic.  If the input is supposed to be incremental, has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a fix?

Thanks!

Last time I forgot to place my rcs thrusters and  when i shutted my engines down for orbital insertion burn which will occur a few minutes after that, i could not pitch in that case

It does not have anything to do with RCS.

It is the way KSP takes keyboard inputs; yes they are quite abrupt and makes controlling some vessels very finicky. Two things you can do to mitigate jerkiness:

-switch to “Precision” controls by pressing Caps Lock. You’ll see your trim gauges (the bottom left of the screen) turn from orange to blue, and the controls will be a bit less sensitive, letting you make finer movements.

-you can also set or “bias” trim by holding Alt (I think this is “Option” on MAC) and then making WASD/QE inputs. Watch the trim sliders on the bottom left and they will slowly move and then stay there, indicating that the controls will slowly “drift” in that direction. 

Reset trim to 0 by pressing Alt+X. Setting trim works really well for planes and rovers, but is not so useful for spacecraft.

6 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

It does not have anything to do with RCS.

It is the way KSP takes keyboard inputs; yes they are quite abrupt and makes controlling some vessels very finicky. Two things you can do to mitigate jerkiness:

-switch to “Precision” controls by pressing Caps Lock. You’ll see your trim gauges (the bottom left of the screen) turn from orange to blue, and the controls will be a bit less sensitive, letting you make finer movements.

-you can also set or “bias” trim by holding Alt (I think this is “Option” on MAC) and then making WASD/QE inputs. Watch the trim sliders on the bottom left and they will slowly move and then stay there, indicating that the controls will slowly “drift” in that direction. 

Reset trim to 0 by pressing Alt+X. Setting trim works really well for planes and rovers, but is not so useful for spacecraft.

well i cannot turn without thrusters to power myself, that's what i mean

To turn, you need:

1. Full control of the vessel - so if its a probe, that means comms, electrical power, etc; or a pilot in a command module

2. either RCS (thrusters and monopropellant) OR reaction wheel OR engine gimbal while running

7 hours ago, aquince said:

Thanks!

Its the same for everyone, its not a Mac-specific issue. Obviously there are factors, such as the torque of your reaction wheel(s) vs vessel weight; and/or gimbal range and thrust of engines if done that way. Its a bit sucky but that's KSP. Its possible to turn down or off, reaction wheels, gimbal etc if it presents an issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.