The Cherenkov II - To Duna and back!

Hubba!

Comrades! Members of the Central Design Bureau! I am greatly pleased to present to you the Cherenkov II! Named after the man who described Cherenkov radiation, it is absolutely guaranteed to take three foo- *cough*, BRAVE kerbonauts to Duna and back, often in one piece too!

screenshot1dqw.png

After being placed into high-kerbal-orbit by the ascent stage, The Cherenkov uses five nuclear engines and eight fuel tanks to transfer to Duna and break into orbit, four standard thrust vectoring rockets along with four parachutes to land, the same four rockets for re-ascent and three fuel tanks and one nuclear engine for the return trip.

On the way to orbit:

screenshot3dul.png

Re-orientation after main-stage separation:

screenshot4ze.png

Five engines burning during trans-dunar-insertion:

screenshot6fg.png

And our safe arrival!

screenshot0t.png

Now, remember to switch off fuel flow to the remaining nuclear engine during landing and to switch it back while on the return to Kerbin. Also, landing on Duna is a bit quirky: one must make sure to break enough so that the craft is not torn to pieces when the cuhtes deploy (happens frequently) while at the same time conserving enough fuel to make it out of Duna's meager atmosphere again! If done correctly, the lander's center of both thrust and drag have been deliberately placed towards the rear of the craft which allows it to auto-stabilize itself during landing. Also worth noting is that the four extra nuclear engines could be removed for a reduction of weight. However, this would extend the required burn to around 15 minutes in order to catch up with Duna!

I'm planning to modify this vessel to make it suitable for missions to Eve; I'll probably end up attaching more rockets to it to clear Eve's thicker atmosphere and gravity well. I'd also love it if people likes the design enough to make their own modifications!

...about the Cherenkov I... We do not talk about it.:sealed:

The craft - 412 parts in 13 stages, all stock 0.17 - Updated, new B-version!

Edited by Hubba!

@walia6 Try practicing flying rockets more before going for the big guns

@OP WOW. Thats one BIG rocket! Why does everyone make big rockets? its no need![ATTACH]33414[/ATTACH] that rocket can make it to any of the planets except jool (but not back) and its 4x smaller! Why such the bigness? :0.0:

@OP WOW. Thats one BIG rocket! Why does everyone make big rockets? its no need![ATTACH]33414[/ATTACH] that rocket can make it to any of the planets except jool (but not back) and its 4x smaller! Why such the bigness? :0.0:

I'm guessing it's the "getting back" part. Returning safely (or just returning at all) to Kerbin requires a few more thousand m/s of delta-V than just reaching the destination. The rocket equation demands that for every pound of fuel you need for the return trip, you also need an extra pound to get the first one to the destination. So any stock rocket rated for interplanetary return to Kerbin is going to be gigantic. At least until we get docking or fake in-situ fuel production.

@walia6 - I am honored I contributed to your day. In all seriousness, I don't know what you would like to try, but I find this excellent orbital calculator by Olex extremely useful. If handled properly, the rocket does what is advertised.

@The Destroyer - Because BIGGER IS SOVIET! *cough* The entire thing is assemble through guesswork and trail-and-error so I imagine there is a huge potential for optimization, I haven't even begun to look at thrust to weight ratios for the different stages for example. I was increadibly impressed by this rover by MeticulousMitch for example. That said, I mean if the craft is going to perform different tasks, planetary transfer, atmospheric entry and exit and so on it will have to carry the parts for it right? A certain size is inevitable.

@Oggula - I love compliments :)

At least until we get docking or fake in-situ fuel production.

That's something I'd love to see! I currently have a crew stranded on Duna because I used to much of the ascent-stage's fuel to break. Perhaps one could eventually land a solar-powered module on a polar cap which would break down the water in the snow to fuel and oxidizer, or a similar setup?

I updated the craft in the link! The new B-version has more RCS-tanks added and has had some of its separatrons removed or moved to increase safety. The change in separatron position caused the first stage to tear off the winglets on separation, surprisingly this resulted in a more stable ship. Conclusion: winglets were redundant!

Btw, if you would like to reduce the number of parts greatly, feel free to remove the separatrons, they are mostly fireworks anyway! Also FOR THE LOVE OF KERBIN, DO NOT initiate your turn before the second stage has separated! This causes the middle main-sail to come loose and crash through the stack above, disintegrating the vessel banana-peel style! Otherwise this is a completely safe and dependable ship:wink:.

I also pulled off an aerobreaking procedure for Duna-insertion, check it out here if you're interested!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.