Transfer Weirdness

So, I'm new to the forums, but not to KSP.  I've been playing for about a year now, and I consider myself to be "meh" in the game.  I have a tendency to just go for it, even if I know things will end badly.  Que Sera, and all, right?

Anyhow, I've been lurking and searching when something comes up, and for the most part I haven't needed help that I can't find.  But today I saw something odd.   I've got 1.8.3, and I have MechJeb 2 installed.  I used MJ to create a transfer node to Duna, and it created and executed just fine.  But when I zoomed out to see the new orbit, there was no closest approach marker.  I warped to about 1/3 of the way to where the intercept was, and still nothing.  So I started to create a node to see what a correction burn would give me, and all of a sudden the orbit showed an encounter.  Without moving the node or doing any kind of burn at all.

I left things alone, and warped to just inside the encounter, and Duna was right there.  I was literally on top of the planet, with a Pe of 10000 km.  I know the computer is smarter than I am, but I would kill most days for an encounter this close.

Is this just an anomaly that I got lucky with?  Or is there something in MechJeb that I need to look at to explain this?  I've got no screen shots(which I should have taken), but I was so happy I just landed and saved.

If this is just luck, I'll take it after all the bad endings I've put Val and Jeb through.  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.