Stock Space Shuttle

eXe7cPW.png

Thought this build deserved a thread of its own. This project started out as a side project when I was making my Saturn V, with a simple question: could I build an MK3-sized shuttle without using MK3 parts? This resulted in the following shuttle build.

Spoiler

zm7SUCa.png

But right after I finished building that shuttle, the flags got released in the KSP update, so I tried replacing some of the parts in that shuttle with flags that could better emulate the texture of the real shuttle. But then I realized it would look very jarring if some of it was flags and some of it just regular KSP flags, so I decided, why not make the entire thing out of flags?

Contrary to what you might think, building the shape of the shuttle was the easy part. Getting it to fly, was most definitely not.

I thought the flags were physicsless. They were not. Every single time I tried to do a drop test from orbit, the shuttle would spin out of control. Every. Single. Time. I could not for the love of me figure out which part in particular was causing the problems, which pretty much stalled out the process of building. I ended up rebuilding it from scratch in an effort to figure out just what the %$#! was wrong with it, as well as to try and lower the part count (orbiter went from 1100 parts to 900). Eventually, after on and off months of testing, I finally managed to figure out how to fly it without losing control.

After many hours of losing my sanity at sub 10 fps, I present to you the best stock shuttle replica I can build. 

Flight instructions, custom flag downloads and such are on the KerbalX page.

KERBALX DOWNLOAD

Fancy pics:

Spoiler

yhGnYmL.png

3KUmd1P.png

D4pY7og.png

MB9UBiW.png

PilQPN3.png

r4eA3UH.png

0RnF0vI.png

1aPaTHM.png

^^ I am most proud of this shot of the shuttle

gfTLswY.png

E3brT2H.png

ByVPv2Y.png

1q8NhrA.png

OmaxbwO.png

eR3FYUU.png

l2Xu77k.png

I1dDWZX.png

H8UBXLW.png

1ElVQj6.png

Mt7znPh.png

6ggjT4b.png

msRj5Uv.png

DN0aXpD.png

zC2N0gT.png

DVbn6Ub.png

MPmUHvG.png

5TtBsDW.png

kJB2yLa.png

or01QK9.png

4gJhx6a.png

seMzm8j.png

Vd4I9y3.png

psm9m66.png

myyW3xS.png

Edited by Yukon0009

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.