Is this... normal RAM usage???

That's VERY high, mine is only 2.5k mb, how big is your ksp save file and average part count in the save you playing on? and the type of mod you're using and also affect it. Ones with certain small parts won't do much damage, but ones with a ton of parts and graphical accessories will take a toll. I have Parallax, planet shine, scatterer, waterfall, BetterTimeWarp, AVP Kerbal Engineer and MechJeb and mine runs pretty well. But I also just cleaned my save and started fresh.  

Edited by Vanadiumn

This was straight from the main menu, not even loaded into a game yet. Loaded into game and it's up to 34GB.

Literally no game on the planet uses this much RAM. I have other Unity engine games that are enormously modded with tens of gigs of mods, and they don't do this.

Edited by Frostiken

Well... opinions vary on what is a lot of mods. I've seen people claiming they had "an average" amount of mods and then post on image of their gamedate folder with over 150 folders in it. So there's that.

Textures might be compressed on disk but not in memory, so if you have a lot of part mods  it can add up quickly. And then throw in memory leaks. Surely over 20 GB is a lot but not inconceivable.

95% of my modlist is low-impact plugins like KAC. In terms of actual part mods, I don't even have B9 or Warpdrive. It's Near Future, USI, Cryo, Restock, and Atomics. Perhaps the biggest impact would be BeyondHome, but the mod author there even says you should be able to run it fine with only 6GB of *system* RAM. I'm running here with 32GB. There should be no such thing as 'not enough RAM' with that much RAM.

Why in the hell is the game storing every single texture completely uncompressed in RAM?

I regularly hit 32GB used (out of 32!) when loading the main menu in my heavily modded RP-1 game, to the extent that I have to do a complicated little routine to avoid causing my entire PC to crash; just running it after that usually takes about 15GB though.

7 hours ago, Frostiken said:

Bruh, I have a decent number of mods, but it's not psychotic.

You only need one, if it's a hog. It might be worth trying to figure out which one is causing it and reporting it to whoever is maintaining it.

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

If it is available there is no harm in it using it, so what exactly is the problem?

Exactly, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

However, some platforms (erh, Windows), gets into severe page thrashing if getting close to full RAM, and either crashes or grinds to a halt.

Personally I have current stats of my main box displayed on an old laptop, and if it looks that I'm heading into trouble I restart.

This is fairly normal i'd say. My game file usually uses about 5 or 6 GB on average while loading and goes up to 10 or 11 when in actually high intensity situations. Then again I run fairly heavy mods and seeing that your mods are smaller/lighter and fewer in number makes me think that something is up or you're running ultra heavy mods like KSPIE or some extremely large Kopernicus Planet packs.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:25 PM, Curveball Anders said:

However, some platforms (erh, Windows), gets into severe page thrashing if getting close to full RAM, and either crashes or grinds to a halt.

... and some other platforms use free memory as IO cache.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:59 AM, Frostiken said:

This was straight from the main menu, not even loaded into a game yet. Loaded into game and it's up to 34GB.

Yep, that sounds about right. I'm having a bit of a conundrum selecting new kit because of it. I'm thinking I should just drop the requirement of ECC in my RAM for the ZFS array and combine my k8s testbed with the gaming platform.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.