Getting my thrusters to stop using upper-stage RCS fuel tanks first?

I've encountered this once or twice and now it's got me nuts. I have my landing craft with it's own RCS tanks on a higher stage, and my main tanks for orientation in space at the lowest stage, but when I activate RCS thrusters, it uses the smaller tanks on my higher stage lander first THEN go to my main tanks, leaving me without thrusters when I arrive. I checked the placement of tanks and such on the stages and they seem to be in the right spot... am I missing something?

It should use the bottom tank first, but it can get confused if the upper tank was replaced at some point, or added as an after-thought after the bottom tank.

Try removing the big RCS tank and chucking it back in the parts list, then add a new large RCS tank, that should change the build order so that the bottom tank is used first.

It should use the bottom tank first, but it can get confused if the upper tank was replaced at some point, or added as an after-thought after the bottom tank.

Try removing the big RCS tank and chucking it back in the parts list, then add a new large RCS tank, that should change the build order so that the bottom tank is used first.

I loaded the craft and added the rocket parts to it. So I definately added the main rcs tanks last. I tried deleting and replacing the lower ones and tried saving it as a seperate craft and reloading it in the VAB but no-go :(

I'm honestly not sure if it's what you mean by your RCS being staged right, but put the tanks you want to use first on a lower stage than the ones you want to save. For example, if you've got a three stage rocket, put the tanks you want to use first on stage 2, and the ones you want to save on stage 1 or 0. Or, put the ones you want to use first on stage 1, and the others on 0.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.