Nuclear Pulse-Engine

bimp95

Hi,

As the Title Says, i would like to know if a Nuclear Pulse-Engine (Atom Bombs ignited behind a thick Plate of metal with dampers between Command Pod/Fuel Storage)

would be easy (or hard/impossible) to integrate into the game.

I have only basic skills in C++ and C#, but i'm improving those right now.

So if anyone has a idea how to do this, i would be happy if you would post it ITT

Cheers, bimp!

I have only slow internet, so i can't post any pictures right now, but i will asap!

That's what i thaught too, but does the game have a own class for this type of engine, or will i have to modify some decouplers and add a explosion effect, OR will i have to write a Plugin?

I hope Squad will also modify the Launch tower, because it would not fit a Spaceship of that size x).

Also: Would you Like to see that in the game, and give me some Ideas for design etc.. I will start Modelling if i am sure it's possible and make a new Thread in the Add-on Development Forum!

and thanks for the quick reply :)

I guess what you could do is just make an engine that would use up a small fuel tank instantly, but it yields a very large amount of thrust. It would simulate a blast pretty well.

Some nuclear weapons are small enough for a human to carry (less than 50kg), and they put out a bit over 20 tons of TNT.

Edited by Brad

• 7 months later...

Now, im not really good at modding. All I can do it edit some of the part files. But what I envision with this, and since this is ksp and not real life, is a giant parachute animation. Its packed away, then deployed in orbit and then the A-bombs start firing at it. Or are all fired as a separate stage, though i dont know how you would do that.

Not sure if that helps with anything, but those are my two cents. Happy modding.

For what is is worth, this is the best information I have on Orion pulse units. Detonating each unit results in the listed thrust being imparted to the pusher plate. This is why there are two stages of shock absorbers in between the pusher plate and the rest of the rocket.

NASA Orion pulse unit (pusher plate 10 meters diameter)

Yield 1 kiloton

Total Mass 141 kg

Propellant mass 90 kg

Cylinder

Diameter 0.36

Height 0.6m

Thrust 3,500 kiloNewtons

Isp ??

USAF Orion pulse unit (pusher plate 10 meters diameter)

Yield 1 kiloton

Total Mass 79 kg

Propellant mass 34.3 kg

Cylinder

Diameter 0.36

Height 0.6m

Thrust 2,000 kiloNewtons

Isp 15,290 seconds?

4,000 ton Orion (pusher plate ?? meters diameter)

Yield 5 kilotons

Total Mass 1,152 kg

Propellant mass ?? kg

Cylinder

Diameter 0.81

Height 0.86

Thrust 80,000 kiloNewtons

Isp 11,900 seconds?

10,000 ton Orion (pusher plate ?? meters diameter)

Yield 15 kilotons

Total Mass ?? kg

Propellant mass ?? kg

Cylinder

Diameter ??

Height ??

Thrust 400,000 kiloNewtons

Isp ??

The dirty little secret of the Orion drive is that it is best used to boost payload into orbit. Which is exactly where there is the most opposition to its use.

Edited by nyrath

Check out my thread where this idea has been proposed by someone who knows C#, meaning its something we can reach for.

I'm not sure how it work though, as I've done some analysis to conclude that the bounds of the game could be broken by the forces induced.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25049-Bored-3D-Modeler-looking-for-a-challenge?p=311597&viewfull=1#post311597

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.