An Asymetric Aircraft

Wjolcz

So today i decided to play some with those VAB/SPH thrust, lift and mass center markers to build some weird stuff. Here's what I made about 15 minutes ago:

i46yT.png

3m7qC.jpg

9NtSH.png

Q7nz1.png

Just wanted to share this simple design and show that asymetric designs are now really easy to make! :D

Now go build some asymetric kerbalness and post it in this thread!

Hope you like it! :3

Edited by Veeltch

You want asymmetrical?

I'll give you ASYMMETRICAL!!!

screenshot60.png

Now, ATM, control is only possible with the greatest of difficulty, but I will find a way to add some 'trim tabs' into the design and give the rudder a bit more authority over control. ATM, it is tied up in keeping the craft on a straight course. Takeoff is difficult and it didn't land well, but that's all part of the learning process!

UPDATE - wow, this is easier than I thought.

The aircraft is now fairly easy to fly (wingtip rudders added), and has even landed semi-successfully (sans the outboard port wing). Work will continue after I get home from work at 000 CDT (GMT- 6). This has the possibility to be a VERY fun aircraft. It has good lift, a comfortable stall speed, and (aside from needing constant port rudder) fairly forgiving controls. During takeoff and landing the port-mounted engine is VERY noticeable, though- landing works best as an unpowered glide, but there is enough lift to manage that well. During takeoff, she will always yaw to starboard uncontrollably... but don't let that grass worry you, she's rough field capable.

UPDATE 2 - Squeezed in a little more tweaking before work. I like this little ship a lot; it now flies well and predictably, but those yaw-induced starboard turns will give you fits the first few times. Turn on SAS, keep your speed low if you are near the ground, and be ready to glide in for landings! Here's the file for ya'll to play with a bit!

Edited by Carthaginian

The BV 141 and several other designs were offered by the shipbuilding firm Blohm + Voss during WWII.

The BV 141 (which inspired my design) was a spotter plane that entered 'limited' production, but used the same engine as the FW 190, so its chances of series production was absolutely nil. There were also fighter.bomber and jet divebomber designs offered, but none were picked up by the Luftwaffe.

Note- my design suffers more from the yaw effects because of the jet engine. The BV 141 had the tail section behind the piston engine and thus had more of the control forces centered around the line of thrust of the aircraft. My design (due to the limits of KSP parts) was unable to duplicate this, so my design has to compensate for the thrust rather than simply deal with the weights being off-balance. ATM, it requires a lot of rudder involvement to do that, and the design suffers as a result. I will continue to refine the design in coming days and produce new aircraft- but I gotta get to work now. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.