Hello, I am glad to be here! Some questions....

Pandi

Howdy all, I have been working on my space program for a day now. This has been a bit difficult for me because I teach history...not physics.

I have been succesfully able to enter orbit and establishing orbiting patterns. I keep running out of fuel, and I have 3 pods floating in orbit! I have one orbiting the sun due to a crazy sling shot incident, and one loan kerbanaut in his suit floating alone (I thought I could do a space walk..alas..no jet pack)

My questions, how can I reach the mun?

How can my kerbanauts have little jet packs on their suit like the scenario?

I see screenshots of people with rovers, stuff I do not see in my own hangar. Where do I get those?

Thanks for the help!

Look around the forums, particularly in the "how-to" forum for instructions on Mun intercepts. It's pretty lengthy to describe. As far as RCS jetpacks go, press R while you're on EVA (by default) and the little guy will grab the controllers and you can fly around (in space) with WASD for directions and shift/control for up/down translation.

Rovers are mods. Check out the mod forum and the "Carts" mod pack. You might have to search for it. It's under Plugin-Powered Mods. You'll find lots of great mods as well such as MechJeb, the autopilot, and many others.

You don't have to be a physics geek to get the hang of KSP, it just takes some time. I was in your spot once!

On a side note, I'm constructing a series of "Space Travel for Dummies" videos with commentary, and will be doing orbital mechanics and maneuvers tonight. There's a link to the playlist in my signature, but there's only one tutorial at the moment. It may come in handy for you so take a look if you're interested!

As well, welcome to the forums and KSP. Glad you found us!

If you have any more questions, post them here or send me a PM and I or a passer-by of the thread will probably answer it for you.

P.S. this thread has a lot of information and text-guided instructional videos for launch, orbit, Mun transfers, and basic orbital mechanics.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15652-Orbital-Mechanics-101-A-Kerbal-Space-Program-Tutorial

Edited by Aphox
Orbital Mechanics 101

Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy your newfound space program abilities!

Regarding the jetpacks, when controlling a kerbanaut you can toggle the jetpack on/off by pressing "r" (or at least that's the default key). You'll see the character deploy the jetpack commands and then you can steer him using the same keys you use to steer the ship and its throttle. It doesn't handle quite like a ship, more like a normal FPS, but you'll quickly get used to it. Just try small maneuvers at first, lest you fly away from the ship. Right-clicking on your kerbal will also show you the remaining jetpack fuel (which recharges when you board the ship again).

The rovers, like many unusual pieces and functions, are usually made using add-ons. You've probably seen this one. The how to forum has a tutorial on how to install add-ons. If that's not the one, have a look around the add-on forum to find the vehicle of your dreams. That being said, it's also possible, with some patience, to make a rover with the stock pieces, using the plane landing gear. They're a bit more explosion-prone than add-on rovers though.

For the moon, have a look at the orbital mechanics 101 tutorial, it's got a chapter about that that can probably explain it better than me.