A Very Basic Space Program | RSS/RO/RP-1

seyMonsters

A Very Basic Space Program | Episode 135 | KSP RSS/RO/RP-1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Why did you send the second rover at 110km instead of just repeating what the first one did?

That will forever remain a mystery to all of us…. I think in my head I was thinking something but im guessing I started over thinking after the parachute issue !

That was a completely legitimate cheat-complete, those contracts are pretty glitchy- I once had a Moon base contract fail because it decided my Moon station was the “base” and wanted me to land that instead- and you did everything it asked you to do.

Scatterer/EVE disappearing isn’t uncommon either, I’ve had it happen lots of times but a quick save/reload often fixes it.

Fun fact, the signal strength meter shows data speed in bits per second (bps), but Kerbalism shows data speed in bytes per second (B/s) and since there are 8 bits in a byte your 80kbps signal to the lunar relay would be at best 10kB/s, nowhere near the ~30kB/s required for that orbital imaging experiment. What you’re seeing is a relatively low-speed S-band signal bouncing off the lunar relay which isn’t going to have the bandwidth to send all that data. Dedicated S-,  X- or K/Ka-band relays in medium Earth orbit are required to get the data transmitted.

That rover was never going to land like that- maybe if you had deployed the ramps to act as airbrakes and tried to use a lifting re-entry to slow down more before you got too low it might have worked, or if you had drogue chutes to slow it subsonic before the main chutes deployed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.