[SSTO] Space Fighter/Bomber - Longsword

Hello everyone!

A few days ago, I decided to remake an old SSTO design that I had once posted about on these very forums. I named it the "longsword" (after the Halo series fighter/bomber). The original SSTO incorporated "primitive" technology, and a lack of SSTO engineering knowledge. Having gone through 12 iterations and two rebuilds, I settled on the Mark 12 variant of the Longsword.  It was easy to take-off/land anywhere, had a good top speed, excellent structural integrity, and all the onboard equipment required for science/return missions. However, it was small, and the 190+ part count (without any weapons) was painful for Kerbal maintenance upkeep (and my poor mac).  At 30.2 m in length and 29.1m in wingspan, the Mark-12 was powered by 2x Rapier, and 6x OPT engines (can't remember the name). 

So, I decided to recreate the Mark 12, keeping the same airframe in mind, with a touch of SU-57, and sprinkle of GA-TL1 Longsword.  Here are some before and after pics and I'll include an contrastive analysis at the end of this post:

Before (Mark 12):

H0hSRpn.jpg

9Wcj6IT.jpg

ajzEduU.jpg

After: (3.0 - D)

Wingspan: 50.6m, Length: 51.0m

Propulsion: 2 Nuclear "Eeloo" engines (V:LH2/All-ATM), 2 ARI reverse LH2 engines, 2 ARI forward LH2 "afterburners", 2 VTOL engines.

Power Generation: Engine alternators, onboard Fission Reactor, one RTG

Radar: Track While Scan (TWS), Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radome (Forward and Rear), extra Air-Air radome, Radar Warning Receiver, Radar Data Receiver. 

Countermeasures: 2x ECM Jammer. 6 (360 degree) lasers (2 rear-underwing , 2 front-underwing, 1 nose mounted, 1 tail mounted). Chaff & Flares. 

Weapons: 6 Laser turrets, 16 AMRAAM (A2A) missiles, 2 50. Cal turrets, 1 GAU 30mm cannon, 4 AGM's, 4 Nuclear Bombs. 

Fuel: Primary: LH2, Secondary (VTOL - Oxidizer). (Enough fuel for most round trip missions). 

Additionally, the entire fuselage and airframe is armored, so it can withstand a direct hit from 4-5 AMRAAMs. 

Here it is in the hanger:

V1D8zaf.png

huHuFMw.png

TLQ1MGZ.png

AVZuWKv.png

In flight: 

LEF1nBl.png

RrsTFDg.png

vhH8Vx6.png

Nuclear Bombing Run:

lHL2ToQ.png

Escape Orbit:

JCGlHRA.png

Eve Entry:

WKNMdhF.png

Kerbin re-entry:

NApMP3u.png

AI war games with a Surface to Air Missile Unit: 

dDT4cXI.png

Dodging AMRAAM Missiles:

Mit2Rgj.png

In conclusion, the new design is roughly twice the size of the original. That being said, it also packs twice the offensive capability, many more countermeasures and advanced radar systems (allowing it to track dozens of targets simultaneously, with the ability to fire on multiple). It also has tons of extra fuel that can be very useful in striking celestial bodies. The new design also features a nuclear reactor, with the capability of powering the spacecraft and an entire space station or base. It cannot be shot down through conventional means, as there are far too many laser turrets onboard, which counteract barrages of seeking anti air missiles. Not to mention it is stealthy. 

Enjoy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.