Stock KSP wont load, UnityPlayer.dll write access violation (fixed)

I have a completely unmodded KSP and i cannot get it to load for anything, I have it through steam,

My pc specs are I7-8750H, GTX 1050, 8GB of Ram, Windows 10 and running through steam

I've tried reinstalling, reverifying

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u3i30s75otpbug/Player.log?dl=0

FIX:

delete both the settings.CFG and physics.CFG

verify the integrity through Steam

increase virtual memory to 16,000

Edited by Dirt Diver
Found a fix

19 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

The log file indicates that the crash information resides in the crash file at:

C:/Users/Psycho/AppData/Local/Temp/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Crashes

Any chance you could post that?

that is what is in the dropbox link

Edited by Dirt Diver

3 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

What you have at Dropbox is the player log file.  There should be a separate crash file at the link I pulled out of the log file.

My mistake then, let me see if I can get it

5 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

What you have at Dropbox is the player log file.  There should be a separate crash file at the link I pulled out of the log file.

is it the crash.dmp

i'll have to upload it later, my laptop just died and i dont have my power cable

@Dirt Diver

Ok, I'm taking a stab at the crash report; someone a whole lot smarter than I am may have to come in here and validate this OR give you better advice.  However, I see the following line in your error file:  

Write to location 000001BDA47FFFE8 caused an access violation.

This tells me that it might be a permissions issue with your machine.  Are you running the game as the administrator on your computer?  That is, when you launch it, do you get the following screen (or a version of it):

uac10.png

If you are running as the administrator on your machine, you should get this pop-up box and you should click "Yes".  If you aren't getting this pop-up, youjust need to:

1. Right-click on the executable icon on your desktop
  2. Select "Run as Administrator"

I'm not sure if that's the same for Steam, but it may be why you are having an issue.  If that's not it, then I'm not sure why you are getting an invalid address write error.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:33 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

@Dirt Diver

Ok, I'm taking a stab at the crash report; someone a whole lot smarter than I am may have to come in here and validate this OR give you better advice.  However, I see the following line in your error file:  

Write to location 000001BDA47FFFE8 caused an access violation.

This tells me that it might be a permissions issue with your machine.  Are you running the game as the administrator on your computer?  That is, when you launch it, do you get the following screen (or a version of it):

uac10.png

If you are running as the administrator on your machine, you should get this pop-up box and you should click "Yes".  If you aren't getting this pop-up, youjust need to:

1. Right-click on the executable icon on your desktop
  2. Select "Run as Administrator"

I'm not sure if that's the same for Steam, but it may be why you are having an issue.  If that's not it, then I'm not sure why you are getting an invalid address write error.

Unfortunately this did not work

It continues to say unityPlayer.dll cause the access violation

After doing some further research, it appears that this is a common problem with unity, often times there is some type of conflict between citrix and it, but I do not have that installed on my laptop, and there are plenty of people that are just having problems with unity all together.  I cannot find any fixes for it

Edited by Dirt Diver

I keep reading that this may be related to RAM/memory usage, causing the program to crash because it's either taking too much memory OR your machine doesn't have enough RAM to handle the processing.  I've also seen where it could be a compatibility issue, and that you may need to run compatibility troubleshooter and update the compatibility settings (I think the best trick is to actually downgrade compatibility to Windows 8).

6 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I keep reading that this may be related to RAM/memory usage, causing the program to crash because it's either taking too much memory OR your machine doesn't have enough RAM to handle the processing.  I've also seen where it could be a compatibility issue, and that you may need to run compatibility troubleshooter and update the compatibility settings (I think the best trick is to actually downgrade compatibility to Windows 8).

I tried this last night, still get the same error unfortunately

16 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

something i just noticed, every time I run the game, it crashes, if I reverify the files, its missing a file or has to redownload

new things i've tried:

Forcing DX12 

uninstalling both DLC's, trying each one seperate

forcing ksp to use integrated graphics card

Edited by Dirt Diver

• 10 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 7:02 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

I also think that the problem may be due to the use of the entire amount of RAM. I wonder if the hard disk memory was used. Using the similarity checker https://fixgerald.com/ I wrote a similar article when I was looking for a solution to this problem. The easiest way is to use the hard disk swap file. Otherwise, there will be an error when writing to RAM.

Edited by Charley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.