Asteroid variants and Jool rings

So in normal KSP all the asteroids including comets have plenty of ore. Thats nothing to think about close to the sun but past and inside the asteroid belt IRL all the asteroids have ice so for the sake of realism it would be really nice if there were different types of asteroids with different compositions and amounts of ore depending on where the are from their star. 

So here are the classes I came up with

Hot: Hot asteroids that are molten, most of the ore is unusable due to being lava, can be found in hot Moho neighborhood parts of star systems

Temperate: Perfect asteroids, entirely ore, can be found in habitable zone areas.

Cold: These asteroids are part ice and part rock, they can be found in asteroid belt like areas.

Frigid: These asteroids are entirely ice, good luck trying to mine them, there is no rock to be found. They can be found beyond Jool neighborhood areas and in interstellar space. (Note: if life support is a thing in KSP 2 they could be mined and melted to give Kerbals water)

There is also a question I have, will you be able to take ring particles and mine them, if so it would be nice to add very thin basically invisible rings to Jool that can approached for mining.

I'd also love if there were other, more exotic asteroids, like the magic asteroid in KSP1 could yield Uranium in KSP2. 

For the rings of Jool, I doubt they will add them, but for rings in general we have seen that there are solid particles in them. The real question is how big they are and how far apart they are, because depending on those answers rings could be very dangerous to harvest. I definitely think atmospheric scoops in general would be a great way to encourage. harvesting material from gas giants. 

Edited by t_v

20 hours ago, awsumguy76801 said:

So in normal KSP all the asteroids including comets have plenty of ore. Thats nothing to think about close to the sun but past and inside the asteroid belt IRL all the asteroids have ice so for the sake of realism it would be really nice if there were different types of asteroids with different compositions and amounts of ore depending on where the are from their star. 

So here are the classes I came up with

Hot: Hot asteroids that are molten, most of the ore is unusable due to being lava, can be found in hot Moho neighborhood parts of star systems

Temperate: Perfect asteroids, entirely ore, can be found in habitable zone areas.

Cold: These asteroids are part ice and part rock, they can be found in asteroid belt like areas.

Frigid: These asteroids are entirely ice, good luck trying to mine them, there is no rock to be found. They can be found beyond Jool neighborhood areas and in interstellar space. (Note: if life support is a thing in KSP 2 they could be mined and melted to give Kerbals water)

There is also a question I have, will you be able to take ring particles and mine them, if so it would be nice to add very thin basically invisible rings to Jool that can approached for mining.

I like the idea.  But keep in mind that "ice" can be a very valuable resource for those who use life support mods, or ISRU mods that make hydrogen fuel and oxidizer from water and water ice.  Then there is fact that the further out you go, the more the "ice" may be methane or something other than water.  So while I could see it looking different, cold, and shiny; for a stock ore mining game I think it would be appropriate to still make in mineable for "ore" to keep it simple

On 2/27/2022 at 6:38 AM, t_v said:

I'd also love if there were other, more exotic asteroids, like the magic asteroid in KSP1 could yield Uranium in KSP2. 

For the rings of Jool, I doubt they will add them, but for rings in general we have seen that there are solid particles in them. The real question is how big they are and how far apart they are, because depending on those answers rings could be very dangerous to harvest. I definitely think atmospheric scoops in general would be a great way to encourage. harvesting material from gas giants. 

Here are Jupiters rings if they were bright enough to be visible:

ott8w4zcigu01.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Basically Jupiters rings are dust, you cannot see them with your own eyes unless you go behind the planet and the rings get backlit. So basically Jools rings would be modelled after this, they would be very sparse and the biggest particle would be maybe 10 m. So going in Jools rings will just look like floating through an disc of dust with a few tiny rocks floating in the distance

I like the idea of having asteroids of different types, shapes and compositions.

As for putting rings around Jool, I would like to point out that already a planet in the first chapter of KSP has an asteroid rings, I am referring to Dres, which although few, has many asteroids orbiting around it, it is possible that this feature will be inserted in KSP 2, but I'm not sure, given the Dres rework shown in some videos.

Personally I think that the Kerbol system is more of a tutorial system and that some features such as rings or asteroid belts are preferable in another system, we already know that Glumo, Gurdama and Ovin have rings. Feature that the developers seem to like a lot ahah.

My guess is that these planets are not all part of the same system, but rather that there is more than one planetary system, but I could also be wrong. We ourselves inhabit a system with 9 planets of which 4 with rings (it is even assumed that Rhea, Saturn's moon, has its own ring system), so my only guess is i hope there are more than two planetary systems in the game, that's all haha.

Furthermore it must be considered that the asteroids of the rings are really small if not made of dust.

We also already know some celestial bodies with particular shapes such as Skut, which can be a moon with a very unstable orbit or an asteroid with an orbit like Halley's comet.

In any case, yes, I would like to see something special for asteroids in general as well.