[challenge] land a spaceplane at KSC after one orbit

Guest LoSboccacc

well, the trick was to mount radial booster at the end of the first stage that compensate for the attached ship weight. it was quite a nightmare to balance properly, but now it's pretty stable (also SAS! :P).

Also, I managed to land that thing, with the escape tower wildly wobbling around. It wants to be landed at less than 50m/s, and it requires to maintain the control surfaces pointed to generate some torque to ease the weight from the front gear, like this (just a bit):

2lnfuom.png

I think it depends a lot from the craft. the wobbling nose will add random weight on the front gear. probably unstable wing will have the same effect on the rear, dunno

im really not happy with the amount of drag + size of the landing gear. I know they are not deployable yet but in reality no plane could fly at Mach speeds with the landing gear out and stay airworthy; tail fins are also undesirable (although they make you more stable lower to ground).

i think im going to have to mod landing parts to zero drag (as if they were inside the wing) because its not realistic :(

I'm exceptionally bad at flying, given that I'm only using a keyboard, but I've been experimenting with landings. I've found that CaptainSlug's radial parachute makes an excellent landing chute. If you can glide to ~30m altitude at about 30 m/s horizontal and near 0m/s vertical, deploying a radial chute mounted near the rear of your plane slows you pretty quickly to safe skid speed.

Guest LoSboccacc

you mind sharing that ship?

Sure. I was planning to upload it anyway, but I'll not be at home until sunday.

I redid it on my laptop and uploaded on the spaceplane exchange thread. have fun!

• 10 months later...

i HAVE made something of this description, I can go round kerbin (or at least 3 quarters berfore I increased the amount ofo fuel and it seems to work fine.

Does the orbit have to go out of the atmosphere? Mine cant go higher than 17000 meters on a good day (once the fuel is jetisoned)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.