A system of magnetopheres, solar wind, and related parts

nhnifong

I have a suggestion for a big plugin.

Each planet will have a magenetosphere, especially Jool. and Kerbol will emit solar wind which can effect ships.

It may have random harmful effects on ships which do not use electrical or passive shielding.

Flying through a magnetic feild at high speed with a coil part could generate electricity.

Being within a magnetic feild protects you from damage in proportion to it's strength.

Megnetotorquers, can be an energy-consuming part which can be used as attitude control.

The solar wind could be simple to begin with, just an ever present danger with strength in proportion to your distance from Kerbol.

But later, it would be cool to have some visual representation, so that it was directional, and came in random pulses.

The damage I was thinking of was more like, a part might stop working, and to fix it, you need to EVA over to it and mess with it. Like activate it with the F key a few times or something. Because it's fiddly and broken.

Neat idea.

But seeing as how the majority of the playerbase struggles to even achieve a stable orbit or yet alone make it to duna ... I can't see how introducing "random part failures" or strapping on moar tons of equipment to deal with kerbol particles will get much love.

This might change in the future.

Neat idea.

But seeing as how the majority of the playerbase struggles to even achieve a stable orbit or yet alone make it to duna ... I can't see how introducing "random part failures" or strapping on moar tons of equipment to deal with kerbol particles will get much love.

This might change in the future.

It doesnt mean that those who struggle need to install plugin, or mb it can be done as optional.

you could have it setup so that the solar wind acts as an 'atmosphere' coming off the sun, a magnetosphere prevents damage to eva'ing kerbals (less magetosphere,more rad damage until the kerbal cooks), magetosphere could also allow for interplanetary magnetic braking, etc, etc.

• 6 months later...

The Apollo astronauts got through the Van Allen belts in a tin can with some foil wrapped around it. Although presumably there was no protection in the first place. I would assume most parts are somewhat radiation shielded and only if you get really close to Kerbol or there is a flare or mass ejection would you have to worry about your satellites getting toasted. And come to think of it, why not toss in micrometeoroids as well?

Well... This has actually gotten me thinking about how I would accomplish it... I do actually code stuff with Unity (for 3 years now) so learning the KSP syntax wouldn't be too tough. The hardest foreseeable part of the plugin would be adding the "Part Health" variable to the config so that the parts can determine whether or not they're working. Generating the radiation is pretty easy, I'd just have to look into whether or not the radiation travels through planets without Mag-sphere (I think it does... I should know this!) to decide if I should use raycasting for determining how much radiation the ship receives.

Pretty easy plugin, actually, I'd just have to redirect my attentions from modeling to programming, but I think if I can get 3_bit trained well enough in that field and the current projects finished I can do it. :) No guarantees ATM, however. :P

My stuff on the U3D forums, if you want it:

<CURRENT> Vehicle System

<OLD> Door Opener

<OLD> Basic Flotation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.