KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

12 minutes ago, GDJ said:

You can probably get away with 1080p, but no extras effects pertaining to water, land and air. Anti-aliasing will be every other frame.

Screen resolution?

Edited by Mr. Kerbin
New page!

2 hours ago, Mr. Kerbin said:

Screen resolution?

1920 x 1080. This can be set in the settings menu.

Edited by GDJ

On 3/3/2024 at 10:04 PM, GDJ said:

And she's done.

-Picked up a modular 1000 watt Power supply
-ACER Bifrost ARC 770 16 Gb graphics card (so far it's pretty good). Makes the intel 730 chip graphics look like complete dog-poo.
-Couldn't get the Firewire adapter card to work with the motherboard. Not a huge deal, but damn annoying.
-Stuck with two 32 GB RAM sticks for now. 64 GB of DDR5 RAM is plenty for now (actually overkill beyond ridiculousness for what I'm currently doing ATM).

Future:
-Probably a larger air cooler for the CPU. I can't justify nor put up with the All-in-one liquid cooler. Ether the lines are too long, too stiff, or the radiator placement is just janky.  The i3's 85 watt thermal rating is pretty controllable with a air cooler.
-Besides, I have four 120mm fans sucking in cool air into the case, and lots of ventilation for the warm air to leave.
-Intel 14th gen i5 or i7. Not sure at the moment. The i3-13100 is surprisingly jammy for a 4 core/8 thread processor.

Put on a larger air cooler for the i3-13100 (Deepcool AK620). Synthetic tests on all 4 cores running at 100% for one hour are good. Temperatures never exceed 68C on any core.
I am happy as hell.

As for a different processor (i5 or i7) the Intel microcode fiasco and oxidation issues in the late 13th gen to 14th gen processors has put me off for now. Right now my i3 is not showing any issues and as the old saying goes:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Eventually I'll pick up a i7 14th gen processor but not until the issues have been ironed out on Intel's end.

Edited by GDJ
Stupid autocorrect.

• 3 weeks later...

In yalls honest opinion, do you think an apple m1 with 8gb ram can run snacks, planetary base systems, stock alike station parts, stage recovery, near future , trajectories, ctt,  restock, eve, scatterer and spectra? I'm fine with 25 or so fps and loading screens up to 15 minutes. 

oh, and waterfall 

Edited by Momadance

2 hours ago, Momadance said:

In yalls honest opinion, do you think an apple m1 with 8gb ram can run snacks, planetary base systems, stock alike station parts, stage recovery, near future , trajectories, ctt,  restock, eve, scatterer and spectra? I'm fine with 25 or so fps and loading screens up to 15 minutes. 

oh, and waterfall 

Personally I’d leave Scatterer out of your list. It’s temperamental at best. As for Eve, Waterfall and Spectra I have no experience with.

The rest look fine. 8 gigs is a bit low on RAM but the M1 is plenty fast enough for KSP1. 

Start your mod list small the slowly build it up. Do one at a time so if you run into a mod that conflicts with others it can be eliminated easily and makes diagnostics easier.

Edited by GDJ