Background: In ksp intersteller mod, the WORST part of building rockets in matching fuel types, and I feel because the stock game is also losing siplity and adding more fuels, distinguishing which fuel tanks go with what engine, expectually if tanks can hold multiple types of fuel (refitting).

Solution:   A overlay for the vessel (like the f11 ui for heating) where tanks are colored based on their contents, and the engines/drains have the asssosiated color, think LOX engines are blue - mammoth engine blue,  xenon green,  ion engine green. It would be a simple solution , that would save a lot of confusion, and fit right along with f11 heat and f12 aerodynamics 

imagine doing a mun landing, and getting stranded because your return stage uses a different fuel (happened to me in interstellar)

Edited by not giving a name

I would like to see the fuel delivery overlay expanded with this, because for example, you can see fuel and electricity as separate colors, but different types of fuel are represented as the same thing (as far as I know). If this overlay gets an overhaul, it could also be used for other routing, like crew transferability if that is a thing that matters. 

23 hours ago, not giving a name said:

Solution:   A overlay for the vessel (like the f11 ui for heating) where tanks are colored based on their contents, and the engines/drains have the asssosiated color, think LOX engines are blue - mammoth engine blue,  xenon green,  ion engine green.

Better colour choices:

RED - Kerosene
YELLOW - Oxidiser
DARK BLUE - LH2
CYAN BLUE - Xenon
GREEN - Nuclear fuel (if antimatter doesn't exist, then make this fission fuel)
MAGENTA - Antimatter (if antimatter doesn't exist, then make this fusion fuel)

Just now, whatsEJstandfor said:

What makes them necessarily better? Is there a kind of standard that already exists?

Just makes more sense from a user experience perspective. I mean, why make Xenon green instead of the colour of its exhaust material? Best to make the colours have useful associations with what they're related to instead of making them arbitrary. If you'd like a standard referred to, then I'm referring to the standard of what colours would be most applicable. These aren't hard and fast, since magenta could also be MPDs, green could also be methane, and yellow could be electricity.

On 8/21/2022 at 4:35 PM, intelliCom said:

Better colour choices:

RED - Kerosene
YELLOW - Oxidiser
DARK BLUE - LH2
CYAN BLUE - Xenon
GREEN - Nuclear fuel (if antimatter doesn't exist, then make this fission fuel)
MAGENTA - Antimatter (if antimatter doesn't exist, then make this fusion fuel)

You might need a few more colors, for thing like Helium-3, metallic hydrogen, and whatever the "torch-ships" will burn.

8 hours ago, Ember12 said:

You might need a few more colors, for thing like Helium-3, metallic hydrogen, and whatever the "torch-ships" will burn.

It gets to a point where it can be difficult to tell them apart if you have too many colours. I'm pretty sure torchships are antimatter, which was listed in my original colours.

But, I'll give it a go nonetheless:

RED (#ff0000) Kerosene / Methane
ORANGE (#ff9900) Oxidiser / Fluorine
YELLOW (#ffcc00) Electricity
GREEN (#66cc00) Uranium / Plutonium / Tritium
CYAN (#66cccc) Electric Propellant (e.g., Xenon)
BLUE (#6699ff) Hydrogen / Deuterium
DARK BLUE (#3300cc) Helium-3
MAGENTA (#ff66ff) Metallic Hydrogen
DARK MAGENTA (#9900cc) Antimatter
BROWN (#cc6600) Ore

Added ore and tritium, hopefully I'm covering all bases with this one. Also I found out how much I hate trying to make tables here; can't add or remove rows, gotta make a fresh new table if I want more rows.