A use for probes and/or satellites

So what I'd like to see in the game is an actual use for probes etc as in the first game, there were no uses for them and then there was a contract to build one. I personally find small unmanned space probes fun to build and deploy. Ideas I have for them is:
Using them to image celestial bodies with a new science part maybe? that'll give science
The full Kerbolar and other new systems will have the further celestial bodies locked on the map/unable to be viewed/ viewed in less detail, until there have been images.
Imaging may suggest what resources lie beneath the surface of a body

Any other ideas please leave below

59 minutes ago, Minihornet said:

So what I'd like to see in the game is an actual use for probes etc as in the first game, there were no uses for them and then there was a contract to build one. I personally find small unmanned space probes fun to build and deploy. Ideas I have for them is:
Using them to image celestial bodies with a new science part maybe? that'll give science
The full Kerbolar and other new systems will have the further celestial bodies locked on the map/unable to be viewed/ viewed in less detail, until there have been images.
Imaging may suggest what resources lie beneath the surface of a body

Any other ideas please leave below

There already is a surface scanner for finding places with more ore, and satellites are used for communication networks. They are also cheaper.

But more uses are always welcome.