PROJECT SCORCHSHADE: Hunting For the SECOND volcano on 0.17 Moho!

Kerbal123_Furry

Moho, a scorched wasteland, once was tidal-locked with the Sun and have NO daynight cycle.

That caused that moho have a totally dark half, which is TOTALLY unknown for me.

I once thought that Moho in 0.17 's backside is a dull dark heated plateau, but one small picture SHOCKED my mind......

017_mohobumpmap.png

When I was fetching for a ISAmapsat plugin, I suddenly thought that I could find it at the KSPwiki 10 yrs ago.

With the help of Archive.org, I found the 0.17 moho article in it, there I found an outdated picture, original file lost and only a small picture survived.

To my surprise there are TWO volcanoes instead of one. The side one is the one I landed, in eternal sunshine. And the middle one? It must be in the eternal dark. This must be the reason that i haven't noticed it in such a long time. Even the normal map of moho have only one volcano!

So.

It's time to uncover the darkest mystery in the kerbal universe.

Mt. SCORCHSHADE

(my moho landing&return record)

Edited by Kerbal123_Furry

I will first intraduct Moho in 0.17.

Radius 250km, Gravity 3m/s^2, Have thin atmosphere (27500m high, drag starts at 14500m, Max temp 3000)

Highest point 12500m(4°30‘S, 139°46'W), a very small piece of plateau on the Sunside volcano.Screenshot153_moho_vol.png

And most of the places are basin and steep ridges, under 5000m. These are "Dead zone". Insane temperature will even burn fuel tanks and landing legs up. 

Everything make moho the Hardest object to land on.

Also, it's back side never get sunshine and is totally dark, so I cannot see it clearly. To prove the volcano's existence, the  only way is to land on it.

Bizarre thing happened...

AGAIN!

On my descend, the true height of my spacecraft first shows that I approached the volcano's top.

But once I reached 11km, the true height suddenly boosted, show that the volcano Disappeared and the height of terrain dropped for 6KM!

What????? 

On 1/4/2023 at 1:09 AM, Kerbal123_Furry said:

Bizarre thing happened...

AGAIN!

On my descend, the true height of my spacecraft first shows that I approached the volcano's top.

But once I reached 11km, the true height suddenly boosted, show that the volcano Disappeared and the height of terrain dropped for 6KM!

What????? 

I think that's a problem with the heighthap or something, aren't the volcano's coordinates 0N 0E or 0N 180E perchance?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.