Do aerospace engineers ever use stuff from this or other games as inspiration for their designs?

Arugela

I built this back in 1.2. It's close to this video's version of the NGAD. I'm curious if they ever take ideas from this game or are the potentials what the games parts are based on? I think I had a more or completely tailess version also. The whole point was delta V shaped wings like this. I'm sure it's not that original, but it would be interesting if that is seen now given how popular games have been for so many generations now. I've played online with people working in MIT projects and other places and had conversation and spit ball session on various projects in the past. It's pretty common depending on who you used to run into in a game or whatnot. Let alone a public forum like this. Edit: I even called it idgad. But I don't think it was related to ngad. It has some stupid acronym I forget behind it. But that was 2016 and ngad was 2014 unless the name came later. But I may have started the design farther back than 1.2. That is just when this varient was made and it's not the first. It was my farvorite plane design for quite a while. Edit2: IDGAD meant "I don't give a damn." It was my name for a random build I started way back for fun as I couldn't think of something to make. It started with a potentially tailless delta win just like this.

Maybe I started it in 2016(not sure): I wonder if NGAD also means Not Giving A Damn. 8) (on top of Next generation air dominance.)

CyP4usB.png

BTW, beside yaw problems a little. That design is insanely stable with auto conrtrols as it has minimal need for trim and flies perfectly straight if you go by it's horizontal aim. Even after taking off the V shaped tails, which probably help with yaw, it's minimal on the roll/pitch needs. With the ability to fine control this once you get the nose set this things is rock solid. Must be interesting on a real one.

vrlsaif.png

It can even get to orbit fairly easiy. I can see why it's good at high altitude cruising.

I also did manage to do variable geometry tail surfaces on my bigger transport vehicle, which was also originally and idgad line of my ships. I might be able to do the same for the wings for an F14 like plane or similar. I think I saw someone else do this and a transformable macross one.

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.